• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League One - 2023/24

older-codger

I know we picked up Charlie Cummins from Cobh last season, albeit initially as a development player, but I agree with you especially in relation to the Irish market.
There are some decent players in the LoI and I wouldn’t imagine many/any of the clubs there pay particularly high wages.
As there are in NI where most are part time, including many very promising lads around 16/17.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
I have always believed this. There are a number of past and present non league players that have languished there because they've never had the opportunity. (Where would Wheeler have been now if he hadn't come to us?)
I think there are always a few gems in non-league. Spotting them and nurturing them is well worth the effort, alongside our academy products.
though nowadays its usually 'had an opportunity but didn't make it previously - is he worth a second (or third) chance?'

Harper was a trainee and professional at Bristol City until the age of 20

Cole was at Brentford and QPR, making an appearance in the Championship and then playing League Two games on loan at Newport and Yeovil.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
The map below shows nicely that Crawley are much better positioned than ourselves to tap into the non-league market. That's not to say we can't do it, but we have a much more limited local pool than others, albeit with less competition.
View attachment 15531
Maybe we are more likely to pick up from Conf National like Milli

STURTZ

Finding a player in Halifax is frankly a bit bizarre! Nice work though, wonder who spotted him?

Oldsmobile-88

Finding a player in Halifax is frankly a bit bizarre! Nice work though, wonder who spotted him?
Jamie Vardy was plying his trade at Halifax before Fleetwood signed him for £100k.

STURTZ

Yeah but Fleetwood is a lot closer to Halifax than us, lots of clubs around them that you'd imagine would be more prepared to take a chance on him rather than a club in the far SW.

Oldsmobile-88

Yeah but Fleetwood is a lot closer to Halifax than us, lots of clubs around them that you'd imagine would be more prepared to take a chance on him rather than a club in the far SW.
Perhaps he knew Caldwell or Perks. ?

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
Only managed one away game last season, bolton. Hopefully do at least one more than that next season.

Oldsmobile-88

Only managed one away game last season, bolton. Hopefully do at least one more than that next season.
A good one to pick mate 😎 Not too far to get home if you were staying with your Sister.

Fancy anywhere this coming season for a trashing ? 😁

tom_ecfc

Some banker! 😉