• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Lets discriminalise all drugs now.

Trapdoor

Ah yes the washington post, the finger on the pulse of Portugese social affairs. C'mon.

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
Ah yes the washington post, the finger on the pulse of Portugese social affairs. C'mon.
Ah...the rubbishing is strong with this one.

Nice try, but the Washington Post is hardly a frothing right wing rag. This is a liberal leaning Bezos owned broadsheet. You know, the one that broke Watergate that saw the demise of Nixon.

Radio Free Skaro

To quote the article "Porto’s mayor and other critics, including neighborhood activist groups, are not calling for a wholesale repeal of decriminalization — but rather, a limited re-criminalization in urban areas and near schools and hospitals to address rising numbers of people misusing drugs."

This sounds fair enough to me. If people want to shoot up in the privacy of their own homes , I don't think that the state should intervene , its up to the individual what they put in their own bodies. However, if someone is shooting up outside a school that's another matter.

Spoonz Red E

I find it mildly annoying that our ****** up imperial/metric system hybrid that we use in the UK is even prevalent within drug dealers in that the selling cocaine by the gram and weed by the ounce.
That's because most Brits were turned on to weed by Aylesbury's answer to the Grateful Dead - the prog-rock trio known as 'Imperial, Waites & Measures'.
Coke was popularised across the continent by the Italo-Disco act 'Septumis Minimis'

In my Birmingham band days I discovered Kevin Rowland had his drugs weighed under cover of night on a greengrocer's scale with runner beans as the counterweight - hence the band name.

I always insisted that my speed was measured in miles per hour (old school).

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
That's because most Brits were turned on to weed by Aylesbury's answer to the Grateful Dead - the prog-rock trio known as 'Imperial, Waites & Measures'.
Coke was popularised across the continent by the Italo-Disco act 'Septumis Minimis'

In my Birmingham band days I discovered Kevin Rowland had his drugs weighed under cover of night on a greengrocer's scale with runner beans as the counterweight - hence the band name.

I always insisted that my speed was measured in miles per hour (old school).
Whereas we all know the weight of an E - it's MC squared.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Best thing I've read on Exeweb for years.

Spoonz Red E

Whereas we all know the weight of an E - it's MC squared.
I did try my best to be square.
Honest guv.

Spoonz Red E

To quote the article "Porto’s mayor and other critics, including neighborhood activist groups, are not calling for a wholesale repeal of decriminalization — but rather, a limited re-criminalization in urban areas and near schools and hospitals to address rising numbers of people misusing drugs."

This sounds fair enough to me. If people want to shoot up in the privacy of their own homes , I don't think that the state should intervene , its up to the individual what they put in their own bodies. However, if someone is shooting up outside a school that's another matter.
Another interesting quote from the piece is:
"Police are less motivated to register people who misuse drugs and there are year-long waits for state-funded rehabilitation treatment even as the number of people seeking help has fallen dramatically."

Arguing for decriminalisation does not presume addictive drugs to be harmless. They obviously aren't.

They are also, obviously, readily available and widely used now.

The current and long standing 'war' has introduced massive criminality, social injustice and extortion into the process.
It's not as if a clearly desirable and workable arrangement is being preserved by considering the alternative of decriminalisation.

Mr Jinx

cannabis needs to be legalised 100%
I've seen that happen first hand in Canada.

No it absolutely doesn't.

Colesman Ballz

I've seen that happen first hand in Canada.

No it absolutely doesn't.
Ah yes I your recall your diatribe blaming the Canadian Government for your young niece sitting around the house bonged out of her head all day. Well I guess that was easier than attributing blame squarely on the lack of paternal responsibility and taking the issue up with them ! :p