• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Lincoln City v Exeter City Matchday Thread

Red & White

We are a typical midtable L1 side. Good for a few games with results to match and then shit for a few games. Consistency is our problem and when it's bad and we lose its really dull, not just because we lost but because our keep ball style just seems so pointless and frustrating.
This is the most frustrating thing for me, concede and lose 1-0. I am not a fan of posession football as it generally means a lot of slow sideways and backwards passing without really causing the opposition many problems. The way we set up is rarely attacking and given the number of goals we have scored this season is boring to watch.

I thought we would be hard pressed to play tactics as boring as we saw at the end of Tisdale's era but this is coming very close and we apparently have a bigger budget now! :rolleyes:

Simba3011

In a game GC said he knew theyd have to "fight and win duels" in, it baffles me that Kite was not even in the squad. He's the only midfielder at the club who can do that. Disappointing to see him sidelined the way he's been

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
City join a fairly long list of teams who haven’t scored away to Lincoln. Not the end of the world, we move.
We're on a fairly short list of teams who haven't scored a single goal in 22 separate games this season too 😅

The results have been decent since the turn of the year but I don't buy into the approach play at all, not for me

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
There was just no excuse for today, plenty of options, got team selection totally wrong. If we've got Eisa then why play Wildshutt?
What IS wrong with Ryan Woods? I think we should be told.
He was probably having that shit that he looked so desperate for on Tuesday.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sturtz you've been passionately pro-Caldwell throughout, but I've sense a bit of a shift lately. Is your admirable patience being tested?
Try to avoid personalities, take each game as it comes, today was such an obvious blunder that concern should be raised. Glad GC is with us till then end of the season but not happy with his team selection. Reminded me of some of Tisdales tactics to beleive that such a set up could work despite all the evidence to the contrary.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Try to avoid personalities, take each game as it comes, today was such an obvious blunder that concern should be raised. Glad GC is with us till then end of the season but not happy with his team selection. Reminded me of some of Tisdales tactics to beleive that such a set up could work despite all the evidence to the contrary.
Very fair and relieved that you're not as blindly pro (or anti) Caldwell as some on here. Accusations on here of people being 'reactive' - well, of course we're reactive. We're reacting to the ever growing body of evidence about his managerial nouse (for good or bad).

Mid Devon Grecian

A quick look at him suggests he's not in the best shape.
When he came on against Derby he was pinging accurate long range passes for fun. Surely the lad could have done 25 mins in place of Carroll?

Get one or two of those to Eisa/Cox and you’ve got a goal scoring opportunity.

For GC it was more important to impact the game by swapping Chieck for Aimson 😖

Bridgy 81

There was just no excuse for today, plenty of options, got team selection totally wrong. If we've got Eisa then why play Wildshutt?
What IS wrong with Ryan Woods? I think we should told.
It is a strange one isn’t it.
I know Eisa hadn’t played much before he joined us but he is the type of central striker we’ve been calling out for.
I also know he played the full 90 last Tuesday, but in my view the logical thing to have done today would’ve been to start with him, then reassess after 60, if he was struggling physically.
As others have said we don’t play again for a week and that’s a home match with obviously no travelling.
So, if necessary he could have his feet up until then.
Today’s starting selection has been overthought in my opinion, but when it wasn’t working it also could have been changed earlier.
In relation to Woods, he’s obviously a player with a very good pedigree.
He’s also clearly not match fit.
Hopefully we haven’t invested too much in him as whilst he gets fit (presumably partly at our expense) he only has 12 games left with us to make a difference.

Mid Devon Grecian

It is a strange one isn’t it.
I know Eisa hadn’t played much before he joined us but he is the type of central striker we’ve been calling out for.
I also know he played the full 90 last Tuesday, but in my view the logical thing to have done today would’ve been to start with him, then reassess after 60, if he was struggling physically.
As others have said we don’t play again for a week and that’s a home match with obviously no travelling.
So, if necessary he could have his feet up until then.
Today’s starting selection has been overthought in my opinion, but when it wasn’t working it also could have been changed earlier.
Hopefully we haven’t invested too much in him as whilst he gets fit (presumably partly at our expense) he only has 12 games left with us to make a difference.
With Eisa we know he has pedigree, just lacking a bit of sharpness from what I’ve seen. Only way he’s going to get that sharpness is minutes. I quite agree he should be started as much as possible.

We’ve seemingly signed signed another 3 players (Eisa,Woods & Alli) who aren’t fit at a time we desperately needed new impact players.

pct333

Realistically, unless Tom Carroll gets injured, Ryan Woods isn't likely to get many minutes in those 12 games either.