• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Lionesses

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
It's about having those players who will now hopefully become familiar (try to avoid the role models tag) who people and more importantly kids will want to go and see. Names that maybe were not familiar with most of the 10 million or so viewers last night before can become the attraction to go and see them play live more regularly.

I had only really a passing acquaintance with a lot of the England team in terms of knowledge. I knew Lucy Bronze was one of the best right backs in the world. I knew Fran Kirby and Millie Bright were highly rated within the game and that Ellen White had scored a lot of goals and Jill Scott has been around forever. But it has been refreshing to see players I had kind of heard of but not really seen show what they can do and their characters. Players like Beth Mead, Lauren Hemp, Georgia Stanway and the younger ones in Alessia Russo, Ella Toone and Chloe Kelly. I didn't know Mary Earp was a really good keeper.

As some on here will know, I do like a deep lying playmaker so Kira Walsh has really stood out and Leah Williamson's passing out from the back has been enjoyable for me to watch.

Of course I do go and see the City development side sometimes to watch Chloe play but it might get me to a few more women's games this season. That's what needs to happen with this tournament around the country and they cannot really do much more than they are.

Reactions: DB9

DB9

Withe the Lioness doing well and ECFC Women's team moving into Exeter that can only be a positive for them and encourage local people to watch and local girls signing up to play.

iscalad

Germany it is then..

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
4:2 England (AET) - bring back the ghost of Kenneth Wolstenholme (RIP) !

Colesman Ballz

4:2 England (AET) - bring back the ghost of Kenneth Wolstenholme (RIP) !
And just for Greyhound - Pickles to the rescue !

elginCity

Popp aside, I’ve noticed the girls generally don’t seem to be able to head a ball properly. They do everything else very well, and at times it’s really good to watch. Under developed neck muscles perhaps, or subconsciously not wishing to mess with the hair (very important is their hair as we all know), but heading is definitely a work in progress.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Popp aside, I’ve noticed the girls generally don’t seem to be able to head a ball properly. They do everything else very well, and at times it’s really good to watch. Under developed neck muscles perhaps, or subconsciously not wishing to mess with the hair (very important is their hair as we all know), but heading is definitely a work in progress.
I think their biggest downfall is being able to clear their lines whether that's heading or kicking, invariably it travels about 20 yards and pressure is maintained. This is probably due to strength etc of being able to get distance but the amount of goals I've seen from not being able to clear lines is scary.

Spoonz Red E

geoffwp

I havent bothered watching any of it. Am I the only bloke disinterested in the women's game? 🤔

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I havent bothered watching any of it. Am I the only bloke disinterested in the women's game? 🤔
But interested enough to come on to this thread and tell us!