• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Loan Letdowns

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
That's definitely not true, RE 1 month maximum. Top three cloggers definitely up there though. I can't remember, to be honest, if anyone was excited about their arrival.
I think what Sea Grecian meant to say was that loans could last for as little as a month. Now if they are with us after the end of the deadline they are with us until January (or as per Harry Smith,can go back but not play, until January). All 3 of those mentioned went back in Sept and October.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think what Sea Grecian meant to say was that loans could last for as little as a month. Now if they are with us after the end of the deadline they are with us until January (or as per Harry Smith,can go back but not play, until January). All 3 of those mentioned went back in Sept and October.
Oh right, jesus, I hadn't noticed it worked that way. So there's no option for a 1-3 month loan?

andrew p long

Oh right, jesus, I hadn't noticed it worked that way. So there's no option for a 1-3 month loan?
Nope! IIRC what happened was that clubs were getting round the 'can only sign permanently during the summer and January transfer windows' by in ,say, October signing a player on loan until January, but with a side agreement that a permanent transfer for an agreed fee would happen in January. That was effectively the same as a permanent signing in October.

So to avoid that sneaky trick the rules were changed to ban loans (except emergency keeper loans) in all times outside the transfer windows. A real shame in some ways as there are plenty of occasions when a one month loan would be useful for the player and both clubs.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Worst ever loan letdowns... meaning the biggest gulf between excited expectations on arrival vs actual delivery.

Admiral Muskwe is setting a high bar for me. Think he's out in front. Partly because he was hyped, partly because, even if he was good, he's so obviously an inadequate solution to the absence of an entire strike force.

Think Lauri Delle Valle would be up there for me. He'd get in this side though!
Weirdly, if we're going purely by expectation versus reality, I'll chuck Cureton into the ring. He came here on loan in 2012 when we were in the shit, but in his 7 game loan spell, scored only once and we were relegated.

Of course, we signed him again permanently and he was again fantastic but I recall being very disappointed when he was on loan that he didn't just bang in a couple every game.

Rosencrantz

Going back a while but I remember City getting Steve Phillips on loan who had a pretty good scoring record (and had scored a few against us) coming in on loan and flopping.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Going back a while but I remember City getting Steve Phillips on loan who had a pretty good scoring record (and had scored a few against us) coming in on loan and flopping.
That's the short guy, yeah? Have a vague memory of him starting a game for us up top with Kevin Francis, although it's entirely conceivable it's a figment of my imagination.

Last edited:

otterton reds

That's the short guy, yeah? Have a vague memory of him starting a game for us up top with Kevin Francis, although it's entirely conceivable it's a figment of my imagination.
I think he scored one goal for us away at Scarborough

Rosencrantz

It would be your imagination as Phillips was with us in 1987. He was a shortarse though. The players who you might be thinking of could be Graeme Tomlinson or Kevin Rapley when "Tree" was here.

Mid Devon Grecian

Marcus Haber

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
Marcus Haber
You just beat me to it.