• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor Leaving? Has left!

Coppers

Nicholson will be the cheap option replacement for continuity. Not the answer in my view.

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
This thread is fast becoming schizophrenic!

logman

Nicholson will be the cheap option replacement for continuity. Not the answer in my view.
He's definitely the short term answer, the immediate response by the players will confirm if he is worthy of a chance until the end of the season. Some tough games coming up so good luck Kev.

We are in the unusual position of appointing a new manager whilst the team are performing relatively well. Usually it is on the back of a sacking due to poor results so the board have a bit of time on their side to get the appointment right.

Christian

Kev will be interim, I don't think he will be the perm manager

simcity

Carlisle is 100% a no from me. An untried manager who might do well but it's a huge gamble and one I don't think the club can afford to take in L1.

If Taylor is going then we need someone fresh to come in and work with some of these players to help take them to the next level but feel that the board need to release the shackles somewhat so that the new manager can look to tie down some of these players who are soon out of contract.

We will be an exciting project for any external candidate, good squad with room for players to improve & progress & new training ground facilities in the next few months so we aren't exactly going to be lacking in people wanting the job!

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Carlisle is 100% a no from me. An untried manager who might do well but it's a huge gamble and one I don't think the club can afford to take in L1.

If Taylor is going then we need someone fresh to come in and work with some of these players to help take them to the next level but feel that the board need to release the shackles somewhat so that the new manager can look to tie down some of these players who are soon out of contract.

We will be an exciting project for any external candidate, good squad with room for players to improve & progress & new training ground facilities in the next few months so we aren't exactly going to be lacking in people wanting the job!
Unless you, or someone you know, is prepared to chuck in several hundred grand, no strings attached, then there are no shackles to be released.

C j phill

Unless you, or someone you know, is prepared to chuck in several hundred grand, no strings attached, then there are no shackles to be released.
Is the correct answer. Whoever is the next manager will have a very good idea of the budget for next season and would have to plan contract offers on that basis. I cant imagine there will be a big increase on this year's budget, unless we have a clear windfall from the managers compensation or some other player related income.

logman

He's definitely the short term answer, the immediate response by the players will confirm if he is worthy of a chance until the end of the season. Some tough games coming up so good luck Kev.
Is the correct answer. Whoever is the next manager will have a very good idea of the budget for next season and would have to plan contract offers on that basis. I cant imagine there will be a big increase on this year's budget, unless we have a clear windfall from the managers compensation or some other player related income.
I expect most of any compensation will be needed to pay for the next new manager. Only the latest set of failures are out of work at the moment.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster

Now here's somebody who doesn't recognise our not even recent history with managers. Taylor, Tisdale, Inglethorpe, Dolan, Peters, McNab, Cornforth, Blake, Fox, pick the odd two out? The answer is Peters and McNab. Why? All the other were in their first managerial job and even those two weren't exactly overly blessed with League experience.

simcity

If there is no money available whatsoever then the current ownership model has reached the end of it's course. Also shows the whole Project 6000 concept dreamt up 12/18 months ago was a complete load of rubbish and as a club we need to quickly re-evaluate how we can increase income but the ownership situation is a another conversation for another thread.

But is it any wonder that MT has left after the frustration he showed during the summer and the perceived lack of backing? Let's just appoint from within because it's the easy & cheap option, wave the white flag this season and go back to L2 and enjoy our shiny new training ground building hoping we can sell someone for a couple million so we can continue patting each other on the back for a great job for a couple years...