• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

MDT : Easter Monday. The Posh v The Grecians. 3pm KO (Peterborough vs Exeter)

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Stubbs was fit as he said himself on Twitter and has played every game for Bradford since leaving us. Still don't understand why he was moved on.
I do - he doesn't fit the profile of defender that GC wants, simple as that. MT wanting big CB pairings to attack the ball and clear lines when necessary, or out to the wings for our wide WBs to run onto. GC wants to build more patiently from the back and requires someone more like Aimson' comfortable on the ball and the ability to drive forward himself down the middle when required. Stubbs as excellent as he was, wasn't this player.

Bridgy 81

Stubbs was fit as he said himself on Twitter and has played every game for Bradford since leaving us. Still don't understand why he was moved on.
I imagine he was in effect swapped for Aimson.
Stubbs’ contract was up in the summer and maybe he indicated his preference was to leave and return north, or as Max says above he wasn’t Gary’s type of player for the style he wants for us.
We probably couldn’t have afforded both so Aimson was signed with some forward planning in mind as his contract with us runs until 2025 I think.

iscalad

Sorry if I have missed this, but why was "the equaliser" disallowed? From ifollow I could not see any obvious reason
Handball by Aimson

Rosencrantz

Still don't get this trend of playing it short from the keeper to under pressure defenders and faffing around til one has to boot it upfield anyway - just let the keeper hoof it up there out of danger!
When you have possession you want to make the pitch as big as possible, when you don't have possession it's the opposite, you want the pitch as condensed as possible. By playing short, you bring the opposition on to you opening up space further up the pitch to play through or into. See Harry Kite's goal against Barnsley for the perfect example. If a keeper is always going to kick long, you tend to get all 20 outfield players within a 30 yard square. Perfect for a defending side who are confident of winning their headers.

Of course it is risk v reward. Being caught in possession playing out is something that will happen at times. I would say our recent defensive problems come more from individual errors and not doing well enough in when in transition getting pressure on the ball in midfield or wide.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I do - he doesn't fit the profile of defender that GC wants, simple as that. MT wanting big CB pairings to attack the ball and clear lines when necessary, or out to the wings for our wide WBs to run onto. GC wants to build more patiently from the back and requires someone more like Aimson' comfortable on the ball and the ability to drive forward himself down the middle when required. Stubbs as excellent as he was, wasn't this player.
You may be right, and I don't mean to oversimplify things, but first and foremost, I want defenders who can defend and, in that respect, there aren't many better IMHO than Sam Stubbs.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sam Stubbs 2021-22 [W13 | D5 | L3]
WDWWDWWDLWDWDWWWWLWL

Sam Stubbs 2022-23 [W7 | D5| L2]
LD–WWLWWWDDDDWDW

So, in total, that's 20 wins, 10 draws, and just five defeats in 36 games.

To be clear, I appreciate there were probably a number of factors in Sam's departure and, moreover, I like Aimson. Just making the point that there's a lot to be said for no-nonsense defenders such as Sam.

Grecian Max

You may be right, and I don't mean to oversimplify things, but first and foremost, I want defenders who can defend and, in that respect, there aren't many better IMHO than Sam Stubbs.
I think Sam Stubbs is one of the best defenders I’ve seen play at City

Grecian Max

Sam Stubbs 2021-22 [W13 | D5 | L3]
WDWWDWWDLWDWDWWWWLWL

Sam Stubbs 2022-23 [W7 | D5| L2]
LD–WWLWWWDDDDWDW

So, in total, that's 20 wins, 10 draws, and just five defeats in 36 games.

To be clear, I appreciate there were probably a number of factors in Sam's departure and, moreover, I like Aimson. Just making the point that there's a lot to be said for no-nonsense defenders such as Sam.
I don’t know what this post is for? I thought we were discussing the reasons why he isn’t here, not his ability as a player - there’s not one person on here that doesn’t rate Stubbs.

Grecian Max

It’s pretty normal for managers to leave out or move on good players who don’t fit within a certain framework or system, Pep, the best in the business is doing it atm with Kyle Walker despite relying on him for many years due to a change to 3 at the back. My view is that GC should be allowed to build the right squad, and there were some players that didn’t fit the mould - MJ, Dieng (despite protestations this was all down to money), Stubbs - soon to be followed by Sparkes, Sweeney - and sadly Diabate.

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
Stubbs has moved on. So should we.