• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Most disliked or favourite football clichés

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
Well spotted. This one drives me crazy too..
Yes, very much so

disliked:
thats better than in the back of our net
remember we are not premier league
get it forward
lower leagues is all hoof ball
what more can you ask for
if they hadnt scored then we would have stood a chance
ref are you blind ?
that was never a red card

best :
unbeliveable teckers
corner ....... YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
that kids somthing special
he will be sold in january
"were gunna win 5-1"

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
Oh and I despise the expression "over the moon".
Easily the worst,you would expect Harry Rednapp to say it in his next interview.Sums up everything that was bad about the 70s.

Favorite one is,"jumpers for goalposts".Takes me back to the 70s (so why I should like it,I dont know) when I was put in goal for a kick around on the local football pitch.Best goaliie in the world at the time,no one wanted to risk having their ankle shattered with a footplate coming at them at 30 mph.

Last edited:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Surprised no one has come up with our own

"Show some passion Tisdale"

Incontinentia

When a team are two or three goals up and the pundit says, "but it could easily have been eight or nine by now". Could it? Could it really?

city_is_my_life

Not sure if these have been mentioned (didn't want to read through 8 pages) and they're not really clichés but...

Using a pronoun at the start of the sentence and the player's/club's name at the end, e.g. "They've done really well this season, Exeter" and "He's a class act, Harley". Makes it sound like the commentator is talking to someone called Exeter or Harley.

That Setanta bloke used to use the words "as well" all the time. Watch the goals v Torquay away in POSF and you will see what I mean.

CIML

mt405

A player does something...

Pundit/summariser: "He's capable of that"

Well, obviously - he's just done it!

(Possibly not strictly a cliché, but still annoying)

Easily the worst,you would expect Harry Rednapp to say it in his next interview.Sums up everything that was bad about the 70s.

Favorite one is,"jumpers for goalposts".Takes me back to the 70s (so why I should like it,I dont know) when I was put in goal for a kick around on the local football pitch.Best goaliie in the world at the time,no one wanted to risk having their ankle shattered with a footplate coming at them at 30 mph.
Harry Redknaps fav is "we only had 2 points from 8 games when I came here" and another of his is " we are down to the bare bones now" when referring to the number of injuries he has got, used it at Wet Spam, Pompey and now spurs

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
"They were lucky to get nil!" Yes, yes, we get the idea, they were thrashed.

Last edited:
He's got a good footballing brain - no he hasn't, he's a f*cking idiot.