• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Most disliked or favourite football clichés

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
Harry Redknaps fav is "we only had 2 points from 8 games when I came here" and another of his is " we are down to the bare bones now" when referring to the number of injuries he has got, used it at Wet Spam, Pompey and now spurs
I thought Harry Redknapp's was "put it in a brown envelope and leave it on my desk".

angelic upstart

I thought Harry Redknapp's was "put it in a brown envelope and leave it on my desk".
He's a t'rific lad is our 'Arry.

Last edited:
Don't get it any more but in the 70's & 80's you'd always get "in Europe away goals count double" No they don't, you have misunderstood the rule!!
Not really a cliché but even worse is when people miss off the 'double' bit and simply say "do away goals count?"

Yes of course they f*cking count you cretin, they are goals.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
That Setanta bloke used to use the words "as well" all the time. Watch the goals v Torquay away in POSF and you will see what I mean.
Paul Parker? The guy, who according to our song, had poor grammar.

Antony Moxey

One used on here an awful lot, in various forms: Nail on head, Nail. Hit. Head. etc etc.

Why not just say you agree with their opinion instead?

iscalad

One used on here an awful lot, in various forms: Nail on head, Nail. Hit. Head. etc etc.

Why not just say you agree with their opinion instead?
Hammer struck the tin-tack with that one.

exehausted2

When I started reading this thread if you'd offered me Thursday moning to still have the opportunity to be the first one to use this one I'd have bittten your hand off (to be fair).

RHINO

The worst are when a manager states I never saw it when his team offends but always see`s it when his team are offended against

mammooman

Ok, not really a cliche but on a similar topic. I'm not going to read through the whole thread either so it may have already been mentioned.

Upon turning to the back page on Saturday morning papers.

"(insert manager name) wants to win" ....ummm!?

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Now that was funny. :D