• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Non League Gems?

Saint James

Seeing how well we did with David Wheeler coming to us from Staines there surely must be a few players out there worth a look to replace Tom Nichols? A couple of players I'm aware of and I'm sure one or two on this forum likewise and it may just be possible that someone at the club will take a look?

My two are: Dayle Southwell of Boston Utd 30 goals scored in 14/15 and 14 by December in 15/16 season. Age is 23 so similar to Wheeler? The second closer to home is Warren Bentley of Winchester City 24 yrs old. Already 25 goals this season and is prolific. In the interview below he is ambitious to play at a higher level - could be the next Charlie Austin? Should we be taking a look at some of these - perhaps we already are? Anyone else now any gems out there?

http://www.winol.co.uk/index.php/2015/03/31/warren-bentley-i-dream-of-playing-higher/

Last edited:

denzil

Don't want to put a dampner on an excellent post SJ but you know we WON'T BE !!! I am led to believe that David Wheeler actually approached us about a trial not vice versa which is damning !!

Last edited:

Saint James

Don't want to put a dampner on an excellent post SJ but you know we WON'T BE !!! I am led to believe that David Wheeler actually approached us about a trial not vice versa which is damning !!
Denz, I know what some posters think about our perceived lack of scouting but we can always speculate or consider the thought that things may change :)

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
You might just awell look north of the border. There were a couple of lads in League 1 and 2 in the Scottish Divisions scoring their 20 plus goal of the season.

Antony Moxey

SJ you're known at the club, perhaps you should approach them and give them a nod in those players' directions. It might result in something, it might not, but at least you'll be able to satisfy yourself that you've tried and done your bit (that might sound sarky but it isn't meant to).

Red Monster

You might just awell look north of the border. There were a couple of lads in League 1 and 2 in the Scottish Divisions scoring their 20 plus goal of the season.
Good shout when we played against East Fife back in July there young striker Nathan Austin was mentioned a lot on
Our Clubs Twitter feed on the match and scored , so have been keeping a eye on him this season he's got 18 goals so
Far ,unfortunately he's been sold to Falkirk in the window and loaned back.

There must a few up there who would like to play full time down here.

Saint James

Good shout when we played against East Fife back in July there young striker Nathan Austin was mentioned a lot on
Our Clubs Twitter feed on the match and scored , so have been keeping a eye on him this season he's got 18 goals so
Far ,unfortunately he's been sold to Falkirk in the window and loaned back.

There must a few up there who would like to play full time down here.
Red, some on her would say anyone beyond Bristol are unlikely to be watched so Scotland may be a stretch! Mox, I will pass on my info to the club which in the case of Bentley shouldn't pose a problem as he is currently in the same league as Tiverton and Taunton so watching him should be easy for the club. The other lad may require an ex player living in the North to go and have a look but I'm sure offering a 3-4 week trial wouldn't cost the earth to see if they could hack a full time lifestyle? I watch a lot of non league football now my eldest is playing men's football and there are certainly players out there.

Red Monster

Red, some on her would say anyone beyond Bristol are unlikely to be watched so Scotland may be a stretch! Mox, I will pass on my info to the club which in the case of Bentley shouldn't pose a problem as he is currently in the same league as Tiverton and Taunton so watching him should be easy for the club. The other lad may require an ex player living in the North to go and have a look but I'm sure offering a 3-4 week trial wouldn't cost the earth to see if they could hack a full time lifestyle? I watch a lot of non league football now my eldest is playing men's football and there are certainly players out there.
Yes I wouldn't expect us to be scouting in Scotland ,but seeing we had We played them in a PSF maybe we could have offered him a trial , as he scored 14 last season for them ,so when
He kept scoring again this season it would have been worth a invite.

Newtonpop

Dan Sparkes is scoring well for Braintree in the Conference.

Spoonz Red E

I am led to believe that David Wheeler actually approached us about a trial not vice versa which is damning !!
Or you could turn that on its head and say because we have a good rep regards development we were the club that Wheeler chose to approach.