• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Obituary Thread

Tim Long

Disappointed that Match of the Day 2's tribute to Stan Bowles didn't include him shooting the table on Superstars. Sweary link below.

Stelios

Listening to Talksport today all of the stories I’ve heard of Stan Bowles off the pitch make him sound like a right ”ahem” :whistle:

Bet responsibly folks. When the fun stops, stop ✋ 🛑

Perry Groves ended up at one of Stan’s wedding receptions because he was mates with Terry Hurlock who was a good mate of Stan’s. First thing Stan said to Terry was “have you got any money”?

About 8-9 years ago Danny Kelly went to Stan’s home to record an episode of ‘My Sporting Life’. They arrived at his home but Stan wouldn’t open the door and insisted he be paid in cash first. Danny had to go to cash machine and then posted the money through the letterbox. Stan never opened the door and the episode was never recorded :ROFLMAO:

(Suspect he may have had few ‘mental health’ issues……)

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Listening to Talksport today all of the stories I’ve heard of Stan Bowles off the pitch make him sound like a right ”ahem” :whistle:

Bet responsibly folks. When the fun stops, stop ✋ 🛑

Perry Groves ended up at one of Stan’s wedding receptions because he was mates with Terry Hurlock who was a good mate of Stan’s. First thing Stan said to Terry was “have you got any money”?

About 8-9 years ago Danny Kelly went to Stan’s home to record an episode of ‘My Sporting Life’. They arrived at his home but Stan wouldn’t open the door and insisted he be paid in cash first. Danny had to go to cash machine and then posted the money through the letterbox. Stan never opened the door and the episode was never recorded :ROFLMAO:

(Suspect he may have had few ‘mental health’ issues……)
Stan was a character and had i think a gambling/drinking problem. He also passed away from Alzheimer's and maybe the episode Danny Kelly was talking about might have been a sign of it?

DB9

Dave Myers, One half of the Hairy Bikers cooking duo dies of cancer which he had been fighting, Sadly he has lost that fight aged 66. RIP

denzel

Dave Myers, One half of the Hairy Bikers cooking duo dies of cancer which he had been fighting, Sadly he has lost that fight aged 66. RIP
Incredibly sad. Too young.

Stelios

Richard Lewis, 76, US stand-up comedian and regular in 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' :(

(I had no idea who he was until I started watching Curb)

Screen Shot 2024-02-29 at 11.48.55.png

Alistair20000

Very sad as I had thought he was in remission. I do like the Hairy Bikers recipes and this one is one of my favourites. The recipe gives due credit to the chef who gave it to them.

DB9

Very sad as I had thought he was in remission. I do like the Hairy Bikers recipes and this one is one of my favourites. The recipe gives due credit to the chef who gave it to them.

So did i Al, I did think their new series meant things were looking up, Sadly it wasn't to be. I'm not a great fan of cooking shows because its more about the chefs and their egos but with the Hairy Bikers, To me its a couple of blokes who happen to be brilliant cooks and enjoy what they're doing and they love showing off local chefs/produce etc and the area they're visiting.

Antony Moxey

They were filming the current series in Exmouth in September, I'd hoped that meant he was on the way to a full recovery. Proper shame.

Alistair20000

So did i Al, I did think their new series meant things were looking up, Sadly it wasn't to be. I'm not a great fan of cooking shows because its more about the chefs and their egos but with the Hairy Bikers, To me its a couple of blokes who happen to be brilliant cooks and enjoy what they're doing and they love showing off local chefs/produce etc and the area they're visiting.
I agree the egos of the celeb chefs can take over but I look through that to the recipes and the one I referred to is a very good one. Would probably taste even better in a sunny Med climate

Reactions: DB9