• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Old MOTD & Big Match.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
April 1980 Elland Rd.

A rare Frank Lampard goal 2 minutes from the end of Extra Time to book West Hams 2nd FA Cup Final appearance in 5 years.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
April 1980 Elland Rd.

A rare Frank Lampard goal 2 minutes from the end of Extra Time to book West Hams 2nd FA Cup Final appearance in 5 years.

I wuzz there with my Grecian Hammer mate Ian O after gaining entry to first game at Villa Park speaking our best "Devonian Hammer" to Bobby Ferguson to get 2 face value tickets through the fence ! Brian Kidd was sent off in front of us after "clashing" with Ray Stewart on the touchline.
After a few beers in The Great Stone Inn after the draw Mr Ray Currie (my Brummie landlord & then husband to Edwina Currie) lent us his Citroen to drive from Brum to leads (again ticketless) for the replay (providing it was back at Brum International on his return from Zurich).
We followed Claret & Blue adorned cars all the way up the M1 and managed to get into ground via a turnstile operator taking cash !
Inside the ground you couldn't move but plenty of Hip Flasks dulled the pain until Lampo Snr scored and ran around the corner flag in front of us when it was all worthwhile.
Them was the days !

Oldsmobile-88

I think I’m right in saying, that season was the last time a team outside the top flight won the FA Cup ?

Rosencrantz

April 1980 Elland Rd.

Lampards have never been good for Everton.

Oldsmobile-88

The days of multiple replays in the FA Cup.
This Semi Final had 3 replays. Hillsborough twice, Villa Park & finally Highfield Road where Brian Talbot got the goal that took Arsenal to Wembley for the 3rd consecutive season.

Oldsmobile-88

Hillsborough 1981

A miracle that there was not a tragic incident on the Leppings Lane End for this game. Spurs fans scaled the fencing to get out of the crush. Pitch gates were opened. The venue was not used again for Semi Finals for a few seasons.

The replay was at Highbury.

Oldsmobile-88

fred binneys head

Perfect shirt sponsor after that OG 🤣

Oldsmobile-88

The tight race for the League Championship in 1971/72
Man City looked odds on a couple of weeks before, but blew it. This win everyone knew was too late despite putting them back to the top of the table. Ironically the arrival of the talismanic Rodney Marsh in March as the final piece in the push for the Title upset the balance of the team.
No one thought that Derby would end up as League Champions especially as they had a inferior goal average compared to Liverpool & Leeds.

5C416AE9-0446-4FBB-BB7A-CDA8056AC2C4.jpeg

Oldsmobile-88

Monday April 26th 1971.

I remember waiting for the late evening news for the result of this top of the table clash. Huge controversy at the time. Big Jack looked well off side at the time, cue mayhem from Arsenal players. Ref & Linesman stuck to their guns & were later proved right.

Arsenal had the last laugh, wrapping up the title with a 1-0 win at White Hart Lane the following Monday. A 0-0 draw would have been good enough, but not a 1-1 due to the tightness of goal average with Leeds at the top of the table.