• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
In the 27 man England squad along with Kane, Toney and Jarrod Bowen. And Marcus Rashford. Only 23 go to the tournament in the summer, so there's still decisions to be made.

Seemed plain to me from the way he talked that Southgate wants to take Toney . IIRC says Watkins is 'in good form', rather than how good he is.
IMO there's room in a 23 man squad for at least three and maybe even four number 9s.

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
What has Toney done to justify his selection ahead of Ollie.
Not sure Toney's done himself any favours though. Upon hearing he got selected, Ivan insisted on a taxi service to the England training camp being driven there by Placido Domingo, then driven back by Andreas Bocelli.

Southgate found this most strange (as one would) so immediately rang him up, upon which Toney exclaimed "I'm not coming unless I can have a tenor each way!"

DB9

Not sure Toney's done himself any favours though. Upon hearing he got selected, Ivan insisted on a taxi service to the England training camp being driven there by Placido Domingo, then driven back by Andreas Bocelli.

Southgate found this most strange (as one would) so immediately rang him up, upon which Toney exclaimed "I'm not coming unless I can have a tenor each way!"
A serious groan emoji needed here! :ROFLMAO:

fred binneys head

STEP AWAY FROM THE KEYBOARD.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
What a super read! (y)
Hope "Mr M&S Waistcoat" takes note.
Or will he stick with the bookie's favourite?

And thankfully his injury does sound like "just a flesh wound" - although why am I getting sudden worrying flashback's to Mr Cleese's "Black Knight"?

Me too “‘twas merely a scratch”

grecIAN Harris

IMO there's room in a 23 man squad for at least three and maybe even four number 9s.
Four is a bit pointless when we only play with one.

Boyo

Kane, Watkins and Toney, surely? There is no fourth?

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Kane, Watkins and Toney, surely? There is no fourth?
Bowen

_D_Lo_

For the last 2 tournaments, which allowed 26 man squads, Southgate has gone with 2 out-and-out strikers (Calvert-Lewin in '20 & Wilson in '23).

Kane is world-class and so much better than the others barring injury he's only getting withdrawn to be rested during the tournament. For that reason and the fact it's a 23 man squad this time round, there's definitely only 2 going again.

Toney is probably the better all-round striker, his link-up play is superior and his style is much closer to Kane's which would mean he slots in more seamlessly. In all honesty he's probably the smarter choice, bias aside. Watkins would be unlucky though, he's definitely the best English striker in the EPL this season.

Rashford will be the emergency 3rd option if needed.

Mid Devon Grecian

From a selfish point of view (sorry Ollie) if Villa are susceptible to a very large offer from say Arsenal, I’d rather Ollie wasn’t distracted by the Euros.

Think of the 💷💷💷💷