• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Toney played well in the first half with his back to goal bringing other attacking players onto the ball. That is more of a strength for him than Ollie. He also done well for the penalty to run in behind and get the wrong side of Vermeulan. Both Toney and Ollie have different strengths. I just fear that Southgate prefers Toney as he replicates more of what Harry Kane does in all round play. To be honest I would take all three.

Player of the night for me was Mainoo though. That should eradicate the need for Henderson. A perfect fit alongside Rice and such a progressive passer to get the ball into Bellingham and Foden.

The game itself was a case of missed chances and gifted goals for England. I think Southgate needs to pick the best player for the position rather than the next cab off the rank. Dunk has been a solid CB in the PL but picked ahead of Jared Branthwaite for LCB on this season's form and the fact that Branthwaite is a natural left footer? Given the choices at LCB he should be the late shooter into this side. We also showed a lack of depth in full back areas. Bringing on Joe Gomez to go to right back with Rico Lewis sat on the bench doesn't make much sense. I know he has been used by Klopp to fill full back positions but Lewis is a better and more natural full back, proven in the CL.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
If Southgate is looking for someone to replicate Kane he'll go with Toney.

We are a better side when our 9 comes to feet and links up play. I'd love to see Watkins go to the euros (he still has every chance of going) but I want to see England do the best they can and on that basis I'm leaning towards Toney if it's a choice between the two.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
If Southgate is looking for someone to replicate Kane he'll go with Toney.

We are a better side when our 9 comes to feet and links up play. I'd love to see Watkins go to the euros (he still has every chance of going) but I want to see England do the best they can and on that basis I'm leaning towards Toney if it's a choice between the two.
I tend to agree. Although Watkins does offer something completely different to both Kane and Toney. It all depends on what Southgate wants as in like for like if kane can't play, or a different type of player off the bench.

Fingers crossed Kane stays fit. Regarding Mainoo, if Southgate plays Henderson ahead of him then that's more criminal than Tisdale playing Butterfield in midfield against Liverpool.

Bat Fastard

Agree with the above sadly. Would be extremely rough on Ollie if he doesn’t make it, given the season he’s having

grecIAN Harris

Player of the night for me was Mainoo though. That should eradicate the need for Henderson. A perfect fit alongside Rice and such a progressive passer to get the ball into Bellingham and Foden.
/QUOTE]
Oh please God, let that be so. Finally get rid of The Mackem Carthorse.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Toney played well in the first half with his back to goal bringing other attacking players onto the ball. That is more of a strength for him than Ollie. He also done well for the penalty to run in behind and get the wrong side of Vermeulan. Both Toney and Ollie have different strengths. I just fear that Southgate prefers Toney as he replicates more of what Harry Kane does in all round play. To be honest I would take all three.
Don't think Ollie's chances are helped by the fact that we're reverting to squads of 23 for this summer's tournament; if it was 26 he'd be all but a certainty IMO.

FWIW, Ollie remains a shorter price [2/5] then Toney [4/6] with the bookies: https://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/england-euro-2024/to-make-the-squad

Alistair20000

Don't think Ollie's chances are helped by the fact that we're reverting to squads of 23 for this summer's tournament; if it was 26 he'd be all but a certainty IMO.

FWIW, Ollie remains a shorter price [2/5] then Toney [4/6] with the bookies: https://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/england-euro-2024/to-make-the-squad
Unattractive odds for Ollie when it is pretty clear Southgate prefers Toney and Toney is more like Harry Kane who is always just a step away from an ankle injury.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Unattractive odds for Ollie when it is pretty clear Southgate prefers Toney and Toney is more like Harry Kane who is always just a step away from an ankle injury.
Watkins is 1/10 with Coral and Ladbrokes. Like you, I wouldn't be a backer at 2/5, let alone those prices; that said, the markets aren't often too far off in these cases – there will be plenty of well-connected individuals having a sneaky few quid – so while I won't be piling in on Oli, if you held a gun to my head, I'd guess he'll be on the plane.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Watkins is 1/10 with Coral and Ladbrokes. Like you, I wouldn't be a backer at 2/5, let alone those prices; that said, the markets aren't often too far off in these cases – there will be plenty of well-connected individuals having a sneaky few quid – so while I won't be piling in on Oli, if you held a gun to my head, I'd guess he'll be on the plane.
I would like to think so but the way Toney won and took what was a pressure penalty may well have clinched it for him and to be fair to Southgate given how important penalties have come both in games and afterwards with penalty shootouts his exceptional record as opposed to Ollie’s mediocre record Southgate would be opening himself up to serious criticism if he didn’t take Toney.

Andy_H

So what is the betting odds on Toney going instead of Ollie, if they are good then Toney will probably place a sly bet, just for old times sake!