• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Oxford United v Exeter City Official Matchday Thread

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
We had no forward for most of the game, that very specific transfer market failure is going to bite us on the arse more than once.

We looked very comfortable in possession for most of it, and dominated that area of play but so blunt in the final third. Oxford didn't look great but what they did do was get into more dangerous positions than us when they occasionally got the ball.

Demi probably MOTM for working so hard despite not having much space to do so.

We are very easy to defend against and even Cheltenham - a team that is genuinely terrible - managed to stave us off for most of it.

Club/Trust need to get their chequebook out and bring in a free agent ASAP. I know GC has said no more signings, but surely this can be shifted - it's not working going forward.
Not sure why Cox and Scott were kept on the bench so long.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
We had no forward for most of the game, that very specific transfer market failure is going to bite us on the arse more than once.

We looked very comfortable in possession for most of it, and dominated that area of play but so blunt in the final third. Oxford didn't look great but what they did do was get into more dangerous positions than us when they occasionally got the ball.

We are very easy to defend against and even Cheltenham - a team that is genuinely terrible - managed to stave us off for most of it.

Club/Trust need to get their chequebook out and bring in a free agent ASAP. I know GC has said no more signings, but surely this can be shifted - it's not working going forward.
Might have to stagger on until Jan 24 I'm afraid

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just got home and checked out the score.See we’ve been found out sadly now. Don’t know whether I’ve the stamina to read through the thread , sad after our great start but maybe to be expected after our failure in the transfer window.

Grecian Max

Dominated the second half… just need to work out where the goals are gonna come from.
They aren't - we have put our eggs into an injured loan basket who has no record of scoring many

Scott isn't a natural goalscorer either and Sonny isn't there development wise

THE WHOLE SUMMER to find another forward - even with Nombe staying we'd have needed it, embarrassing

Banksy

Might have to stagger on until Jan 24 I'm afraid
By then we’ll be middle table I guess.

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't see the main problem here being who we have up front.We get to the penalty box and then stop,look around for a bit ,pass it back,then sideways,then to the other side and.....its too late ,all the gaps have been closed up.Oxford showed us how to attack and make space in the penalty box,no one learnt from that until Scott and Harper came on.Jules was the only one that showed any urgency to score in the first 60 minutes.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just got home and checked out the score.See we’ve been found out sadly now. Don’t know whether I’ve the stamina to read through the thread , sad after our great start but maybe to be expected after our failure in the transfer window.
My summary for what it's worth is 3:0 flatters Oxford - they took their chances we didn't.

Bridgy 81

Presumably Admiral was intended to be our main central attacker.
But after a sub appearance at Burton got crocked the following week in training, so we haven’t seen him since.
Hopefully he’ll be back soon and can be our focal point upfront.

Grecian Max

Very, very easy to defend against

No one was in there causing a nuisance and we were attempting to attack by running at 5/6 blokes from 35 yards out and inevitably losing it

Crosses are pointless as no one gets on the end of them

Best chance was probably Yanic's against the post when we briefly found some space

Frustrating as the build up play and possession football is decent otherwise

Grecian Max

Presumably Admiral was intended to be our main central attacker.
But after a sub appearance at Burton got crocked the following week in training, so we haven’t seen him since.
Hopefully he’ll be back soon and can be our focal point upfront.
He was, but we needed another for this exact reason. It was never enough, clear as day.