• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Oxford United vs Exeter City Matchday Thread

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
We are now officially in mid mid table having won as many games as we've lost. Onwards and upwards

STURTZ

MT did rate Caprice or he wouldn't have renewed his contract last season. Trouble for me was that he played him at left back, probably because he thought Key was on his way to higher things. Caprice has always been a quality right back.

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
A game of two halves as the Oxford commentary called it.Might say that we took advantage if our luck,but we don't often do that.It's a promising place to be in to be regaining our killer instinct.

Everyone says how much of a step up League 1 is ,but I think most of it is quite poor and inconsistent from what I have seen.A good side can get into the playoffs.Time will tell if we are good enough.

Last edited:

STURTZ

I'll tell you the first one the doubters all point to is the thirty yarder at Argiggle. What none of them look at is the fact that nobody shut the bloke down, there was a gaggle of 7-10 players in a block right in Jamal's eye line and the first sight he had of the ball was when it skidded off the deck around the penalty spot by which time he had little time to react. You could look at the first one in similar vein, Collins not shutting the ball down but I expect the doubters say he should have got hold of that one.
Looked at those clips as recommended by Stroudy and just saw a player left hopelessly exposed by a weakened back line. Against The Shrews we had Sweeny Key and Grounds as a back 3!

Rosencrantz

Looked at those clips as recommended by Stroudy and just saw a player left hopelessly exposed by a weakened back line. Against The Shrews we had Sweeny Key and Grounds as a back 3!
I remember him getting criticism at the time for those goals. I didn't really think he deserved it then and having looked, I still don't now. I think we have had two very good goalkeepers in a row that have slightly different attributes but have been very good for us. It will be interesting to see what Jamal is like with Stubbs in front of him as it sure made Cam's life easier in the second half of last season.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Fantastic result today. Whilst I didn't get a chance to listen or watch so no idea on performance but a great result for the side and Caldwell.

Let's hope we follow this up with another win against Forest Green in a couple of weeks.

Nombe being in the side at the moment is a huge difference maker in our frontline play

Grecianpasty

Re Josh Key - Yes, he missed some absolute sitters today, but the lad played in every position going. He ran his socks off, and can never be accused of not giving his all. I truly hope he stays with us.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Finally home. I've been to two consecutive away wins and League 1 is feeling great!

A tough first half which we could easily have gone in behind but thanks in particular to Hartridge and Blackman we weren't. I have was worried that the loss of Jevani would be be serious.

We started the second half well, but it wasn't until the introduction of Stanno that we started to cause them real problems with our counter attacks. Oxford's subs didn't improve their play while ours did.

Nice to get revenge for the other results against them this season 🙂

tonykellowfan

I was at the game today and we rode our luck. Oxford had some quality play from midfield in the first half and totally bypassed us but couldn't get the ball in the net.

The changes helped us, Kegs did not have a good game and Dieng coming on again helped a lot. Stansfield added to our attack when he came on.

tonykellowfan

I should add that 3 games in a row Blackman has been excellent.