• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Oxford United vs Exeter City Matchday Thread

crocks

Very well known Exeweb poster
I thought at the time that it was odd to give a fee kick for timewasting. Also, I am not sure that Blackman had been previously spoken to about timewasting (I could be wrong on that point) so, on the face of it, he seems to have been harshly dealt with.

arthur

I thought at the time that it was odd to give a fee kick for timewasting. Also, I am not sure that Blackman had been previously spoken to about timewasting (I could be wrong on that point) so, on the face of it, he seems to have been harshly dealt with.
If you don't release the ball after six seconds that's an offence resulting in an indirect free kick. Thems the rules Shirley?

crocks

If you don't release the ball after six seconds that's an offence resulting in an indirect free kick. Thems the rules Shirley?
It is, you're right....but rarely , if ever is it enforced.

arthur

It is, you're right....but rarely , if ever is it enforced.
But if the delay is bad enough to warrant a booking, a free kick has to be given I'd have thought. It all made perfect sense to me

andrew p long

Yep. Nearly cost us there. When was the last time anyone saw a ref give a fee kick for that 6 second rule?
Watching it back on the ifollow match replay, Blackman had hold of the ball without releasing for 24 seconds a couple of minutes earlier. It was 26 seconds on the occasion when penalised, so it was the right decision. Its one thing a keeper messing about time wasting when the ball is out of play, as the worst outcome is a (meaningless) booking. But when holding the ball or the ball otherwise in play the penalty is an indirect free kick (in a very dangerous position) as well.

JW57++

Oxford's fairly lame attempt at an SJP360 type video. Alternate view of City's goal and Blackman's inglorious time wasting in full technicolor:
Based on that video we only had one attack all game. Blackman was our only player who seemed to be able to keep possession of the football.

StroudGrecian

Oxford's fairly lame attempt at an SJP360 type video. Alternate view of City's goal and Blackman's inglorious time wasting in full technicolor:
That looks pretty amateurish - makes you appreciate the camerawork and high-quality production of the SJP360s.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
But if the delay is bad enough to warrant a booking, a free kick has to be given I'd have thought. It all made perfect sense to me
I'm not an expert on the rules so that may well be correct. However, as always, it's the inconsistency that's the issue as I don't ever remember seeing a free kick given in a similar situation. And if we're talking about applying the letter of the law, why was the Oxford player not booked for shoving Jay in the chest with both hands.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Watching it back on the ifollow match replay, Blackman had hold of the ball without releasing for 24 seconds a couple of minutes earlier. It was 26 seconds on the occasion when penalised, so it was the right decision. Its one thing a keeper messing about time wasting when the ball is out of play, as the worst outcome is a (meaningless) booking. But when holding the ball or the ball otherwise in play the penalty is an indirect free kick (in a very dangerous position) as well.
I don't have a particular issue with the time-wasting but it was more how incompetent it was. The first time Jamal got so flustered in the end he just kicked the ball straight to the Oxford keeper. And the second time the nearest Oxford striker had started to walk away so he just needed to drop the ball to the floor and force the striker to come to him if he wanted to speed the game up.

andrew p long

I'm not an expert on the rules so that may well be correct. However, as always, it's the inconsistency that's the issue as I don't ever remember seeing a free kick given in a similar situation. And if we're talking about applying the letter of the law, why was the Oxford player not booked for shoving Jay in the chest with both hands.
Blackman was taking the p*** to an embarrassing degree. The six second rule (and other provisions against time wasting) are rarely enforced and the game has become much worse as a result.

yes inconsistency - but yesterday the decision was the correct one. Thank heaven it didn't cost us.