• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Peterborough United v Exeter City match day thread

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
The lads did battle well in the last 20 and had a good even first half

Peterborough are a good side and stepped it up second half

Not a terrible performance overall, in fact it was a good performance considering who we were up against

Form isn’t looking great again, Bolton I can’t see us pushing, particularly at home where we resort to snails pace football

We are right in trouble still

CraigECFC

Subs and switch of formation meant we lost control of the game at a crucial stage. I thought we did give a decent showing though and pressed well.

Another positive was Alli looked a handful and was looking to get involved in the game. Nearly scored a header late in the game and gives us something different.

crocks

..oh and please reinstate Diabate. City need him at the back.

malcolms

Plus playing against a really good side with a budget that dwarfs ours, of course.
I have no idea either way, and it may well be that Peterborough do have “a budget that dwarfs ours” However, as nobody seems to know what our budget is, I’m amazed that everyone seems to know what Peterborough spend. 🤔

Grecian Max

Subs and switch of formation meant we lost control of the game at a crucial stage. I thought we did give a decent showing though and pressed well.

Another positive was Alli looked a handful and was looking to get involved in the game. Nearly scored a header late in the game and gives us something different.
Yeah Alli looks good to me, that header came from Kite being direct, something we sorely lack during games. Not saying he should start but I want to see us attempt stuff like that not just when we’re desperate to score.

They are obviously told to pass into oblivion which is mad because we often find space outside the box to do something other than pass wide or backwards. It’s probably the most infuriating aspect of Caldwells football.

arthur

I simply don't understand Caldwell. He seems an intelligent man who knows what he wants to do and can communicate this to his players. He said that he had reflected on his failures at Partick and Chesterfield and learnt from them which was good to hear.

Two weeks ago at Lincoln he said he had made a mistake with his slightly weird team selection and took full responsibility for it. And then today he selects, on paper, a reasonably good team and then, for no apparent reason, willfully plays players out of position. Then, with a strong bench ready to replace tiring players, he makes substitutions that continue in the same vein, despite having players available able to play where players need to come off - Kite for Woods, Diabate for Aimson, Eisa for Cox, Rankine for Niskanen, Alli for Harper etc.

He has a squad of players good enough to survive comfortably in mid table. He has developed a way of playing that they seem to understand, even if a vocal minority don't seem to like it very much. He and the players can change formation to suit the opposition/stage of the game. But then he goes and sabotages all of this with his bizarre choices of team selection, player positions and substitutions. It's almost as if he has a death wish. Or is it some weird Catholic guilt/self flagellation thing? I'm totally bemused

Banksy

Honest question , does Alli looking good mean he’ll be left on the subs’ bench ?

Bat Fastard

I simply don't understand Caldwell. He seems an intelligent man who knows what he wants to do and can communicate this to his players. He said that he had reflected on his failures at Partick and Chesterfield and learnt from them which was good to hear.

Two weeks ago at Lincoln he said he had made a mistake with his slightly weird team selection and took full responsibility for it. And then today he selects, on paper, a reasonably good team and then, for no apparent reason, willfully plays players out of position. Then, with a strong bench ready to replace tiring players, he makes substitutions that continue in the same vein, despite having players available able to play where players need to come off - Kite for Woods, Diabate for Aimson, Eisa for Cox, Rankine for Niskanen, Alli for Harper etc.

He has a squad of players good enough to survive comfortably in mid table. He has developed a way of playing that they seem to understand, even if a vocal minority don't seem to like it very much. He and the players can change formation to suit the opposition/stage of the game. But then he goes and sabotages all of this with his bizarre choices of team selection, player positions and substitutions. It's almost as if he has a death wish. Or is it some weird Catholic guilt/self flagellation thing? I'm totally bemused
Do you enjoy the way we play? I find it very dull myself and I don’t think I’m in a vocal minority in that

Papa John

Obviously too early to say, but it’s disappointing we seemingly have to play him for the full 90 every week. Not good for either party I’d suggest
Fulham U21s won 7-1 last night that’s where Harris got his reputation scoring bags of goals in heavy scorelines playing against kids. Harris sadly has underestimated the sheer difference between playing in U21s football against 16-18 year olds compared to division one men’s professional football. He is showing Fulham he nothing more than a bang average player and needs to improve fast. Being guaranteed starts / and most of the time 90 minutes that’s not helped the team

Mid Devon Grecian

I have no idea either way, and it may well be that Peterborough do have “a budget that dwarfs ours” However, as nobody seems to know what our budget is, I’m amazed that everyone seems to know what Peterborough spend. 🤔
I guess paying the rumoured £750k for Archie kind of indicates their budget is a lot larger than ours. I’m sure he got a hefty pay rise and doubt he’s Posh’s highest earner.