• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Play-off final venue

Andy Holloway

For my 6p worth i point the finger of blame for a 'poor atmosphere' clearly at the Blackpool fans who boycotted the game, to only take 5k+ fans to your clubs biggest day out in years, with such a prize on offer is totally pathetic. You can boycott your home games as often and for as long as you like, but don't spoil somebody else's 'big day out' with your petty squabbles with your owners.
Maybe we should be asking the organisers of the boycott for the equivalent cash remuneration of what ECFC lost out on from the lost gate receipts.

Obviously there were 5k+ Blackpool fans who DON'T agree with the boycott and good on them. Plus, i can't say i saw any of the Blackpool players buying into the idea of the boycott. So obviously they and the Manager are happy with Messers Oyston & Oyston's running of the club.

As has been said already i wonder if, had we played Luton instead, with a crowd closer to 40k and we'd won, Wemberleigh would have been the most perfect location in the World!

As an aside, The Aviva Rugby Premiership final at Twickenham was virtually sold out even BEFORE it was known which two teams would be playing, but there again that is considered to be the 'end of season' party game, regardless of who it's between. Maybe it's up to the EFL to make similar adjustments to the their marketing strategy of the day in order to increase the attendance and therefore the clubs, and their return, on the game.

Personally i had a great day out, despite the result, yes we could, and should, have performed better but that was how things panned out on the day. I was unable to go to either of ECFC's last two visits to Wemberleigh due to working abroad so, for me, it was interesting to see how much the NEW Wemberleigh and surrounding areas with it's restaurants and retail outlets, differ from the OLD Wemberleigh, with it's industrial estate feeling and scruffy burger van food outlets. For me there's no comparison, 2017 wins hands down.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
For my 6p worth i point the finger of blame for a 'poor atmosphere' clearly at the Blackpool fans who boycotted the game, to only take 5k+ fans to your clubs biggest day out in years, with such a prize on offer is totally pathetic. You can boycott your home games as often and for as long as you like, but don't spoil somebody else's 'big day out' with your petty squabbles with your owners.
Maybe we should be asking the organisers of the boycott for the equivalent cash remuneration of what ECFC lost out on from the lost gate receipts.

Obviously there were 5k+ Blackpool fans who DON'T agree with the boycott and good on them. Plus, i can't say i saw any of the Blackpool players buying into the idea of the boycott. So obviously they and the Manager are happy with Messers Oyston & Oyston's running of the club.

As has been said already i wonder if, had we played Luton instead, with a crowd closer to 40k and we'd won, Wemberleigh would have been the most perfect location in the World!

As an aside, The Aviva Rugby Premiership final at Twickenham was virtually sold out even BEFORE it was known which two teams would be playing, but there again that is considered to be the 'end of season' party game, regardless of who it's between. Maybe it's up to the EFL to make similar adjustments to the their marketing strategy of the day in order to increase the attendance and therefore the clubs, and their return, on the game.

Personally i had a great day out, despite the result, yes we could, and should, have performed better but that was how things panned out on the day. I was unable to go to either of ECFC's last two visits to Wemberleigh due to working abroad so, for me, it was interesting to see how much the NEW Wemberleigh and surrounding areas with it's restaurants and retail outlets, differ from the OLD Wemberleigh, with it's industrial estate feeling and scruffy burger van food outlets. For me there's no comparison, 2017 wins hands down.
Wembley. The stadium is called Wembley.

The rugby thing is a red herring - that was the equivalent of the FA Cup that the Chiefs were at, of course it was sold out. Plus there would have been limited segregation, if any. I doubt very much that it was 'virtually sold old' in advance either, surely the two finalists must have had a certain allocation each, and those finalists obviously were't known until later on, yet there were still sizeable supports for both Wasps and Chiefs there. I doubt that could happen if it was already 'virtually' sold out before they qualified.

LDNGrecian

Not sure its the biggest game in years as they were in the prem 6 years ago!

elginCity

I believe the Aviva premiership finalists received a set allocation of 7.5k tickets each, set aside for priority groups/season ticket holders etc. Once the finalists were known only 5,000 tickets remained on general sale. Many Chiefs followers would have bought advanced tickets in anticipation of reaching the final.

Not sure there'd be sufficient widespread interest to warrant a marketing campaign for a day out to a Wembley L2 play off final, it wouldn't appeal to the neutral. Unfortunate for us that the day coincided with the Blackpool boycott, then again Morecambe only brought 3k more than the seasiders. As with Morecambe, I thought their little band of followers kicked up a right old racket on occasion, whereas our greater numbers just didn't get going at all, despite the best efforts of the RL. Funny that.

No doubt facilities wise the functional New Wembley knocks the old one into a cocked hat, but for atmosphere and feel give me the old girl any day of the week.

Exe on Valdez

No question, playing the match at Wembley makes it special. Trouble is, the L2 play off final has to compete with the L1 and Championship play off finals. So it is never going to fill the ground.

Second choice would be the Millenium Stadium - big enough and also a neutral venue.

Andy Holloway

No question, playing the match at Wembley makes it special. Trouble is, the L2 play off final has to compete with the L1 and Championship play off finals. So it is never going to fill the ground.

Second choice would be the Millenium Stadium - big enough and also a neutral venue.
23k+ would still rattle around in The Millennium Stadium with it's 74,500 capacity though.

Leads

Completley disagree. To only take 5k is a remarkable show of strangth and good on every one of them who resisted the day out. The footballing world doesn't revolve around Exeter City and they are perfectly entitled to not attend. Do you know anything about the Oystons and what they do to their fans?

They don't have a duty to show up for our sake. We have had bad owners in the past, if people didn't want to go because they didn't want Russel and Lewis to literally pocket their money you would understand wouldn't you?

The rest of your post is essentially just (being polite) nonsense.

Bexster

The Millennium Stadium I think sounds worse with a smaller crowd. I like going there, but it just seems darker and colder when it's not really full.

IndoMike

You can't expect 60k + fans for a Div 2 final. Most of the teams in Div 2 have relatively low populations and fanbases, so 35k-40k would be a realistic crowd. City did well to take around 16k fans. Unfortunately the understandable Blackpool boycott screwed up the atmosphere and reduced the income.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Anyone seen the actual split of the crowd figures into ECFC / Blackpool? I can't find anything on the interweb.