• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Plymouth Argyle Vs Exeter City Match Day Thread

suffolklad

Nothing like having a bias point of view when trying to prove a stance that you can't truly defend. However i'm pleased that you accept that he potentially could become very good

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Don't altogether disagree. Not sure Jamal was at fault for any of the goals on Tuesday and he's been okay [a solid-ish 6.5 out of 10] but, thus far, I can't recall him making too many saves you wouldn't expect him to make. Moreover, he hasn't necessarily looked to me as if he's someone playing below his level as was clearly the case with Dawson last year.
I can give you a couple off the top of my head, one at Village Green that he clawed off of the line from nowhere and last week the save from Derby's free kick.

StudentGrecian

Nothing like having a bias point of view when trying to prove a stance that you can't truly defend. However i'm pleased that you accept that he potentially could become very good
You literally said he made several quality saves in the Plymouth game, yet he clearly didn’t as only one shot they had on target didn’t go in. So your the one bending the narrative to fit your point of view.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I can give you a couple off the top of my head, one at Village Green that he clawed off of the line from nowhere and last week the save from Derby's free kick.
I said 'too many'. FWIW, I've just watched the save at Derby again and I think you'd be disappointed if he'd let that in. Stop the video at 1:43 / 1:44 and it looks to me as is the ball is a foot to Jamal's right and at a nice height – I don't think it was destined for the top corner of the net before his intervention.

And, while I appreciate it's a crude metric, of the 38 goalkeepers to have appeared in League One this season, 22 have a better save percentage than Jamal: https://fbref.com/en/comps/15/keepers/League-One-Stats.

For the avoidance of doubt, I don't have a problem with him. I think he's a perfectly reasonable League One keeper who may well improve markedly with more games under his belt. My point is more that, on the evidence of what we've seen so far, I tend to agree with StudentGrecian that he isn't the Second Coming and doesn't appear a certainty, as Dawson did last year, to go on and excel at a higher level.

Last edited:

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Let’s not just make out it’s Argyle Fans that have suddenly come up with sick football chants. It’s not a new thing, there were plenty of Alan Nicholls sick chants in the 90s. It’s not right but this isn’t unique, why are idiots sharing it on Twitter? That’s causing the damage, imagine young Stanno seeing that…it would of just been forgotten about if it hadn’t been scruntanised. You’re never changing young idiots.
Or older ones…..brainless idiots come in all shapes and sizes and are certainly not limited to any particular age or generation.

Grecian Max

Blackman has been disappointing in my eyes. For those defending him, ask yourself why multiple people on here think he could be doing better. You aren’t expert pundits that are seeing nuanced things; he simply hasn’t lived up to expectations so far.

He’s a big lad and whilst there is an advantage in claiming crosses, he’s pretty awful at getting down to low shots. His reaction saves are nothing special either. Nowhere near the quality of Dawson but still better than Pym so there’s that. Had we had Dawson in goal we wouldn’t have conceded as many this season. IMO.

fred binneys head

I think Jamal is very good. I thought Dawson was excellent.

Grecian Max

I think Jamal is very good. I thought Dawson was excellent.
Replace very good with bang average for League 1 and it’s about right. He’s not terrible, but he wouldn’t make it into my top 5 city keepers I don’t think.

Antony Moxey

he wouldn’t make it into my top 5 city keepers I don’t think.
Who would (because I’m genuinely interested)?

tonykellowfan

I suspect that at some point this season, Lee will replace Blackman who will be released at the end of the season with Lee taking over next season as first choice.