• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Premier League 22/23

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
He got away lightly given the amount of charges against him.
Yep, Now its come out he has a gambling addiction, I shouldn't be cynical but methinks strange how its come out for maybe a reduced punishment?

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
And Brentford "got away" with playing him most of the season too !

Oldsmobile-88

And Brentford "got away" with playing him most of the season too !
Indeed...2 months of the ban coincide with the close season.

Alistair20000

Agreed. And he had “previous.”

Maybe needs help with this addiction but I cannot agree with Southgate’s view that the punishment is too severe.

sign of the chimes

Agreed. And he had “previous.”

Maybe needs help with this addiction but I cannot agree with Southgate’s view that the punishment is too severe.
I'd taken Southgate's argument to be that it seemed ridiculous that he couldn't train for the first four months as part of the ban. I have to agree with Southgate on that - what on earth does it achieve?

Alistair20000

I'd taken Southgate's argument to be that it seemed ridiculous that he couldn't train for the first four months as part of the ban. I have to agree with Southgate on that - what on earth does it achieve?
Shirley nobody can stop him keeping fit; for example visiting the gym ?

sign of the chimes

Shirley nobody can stop him keeping fit; for example visiting the gym ?
Agree on the gym - just don't see what purpose the sanction achieves; particularly in the context of the particular transgression - i.e. someone with a gambling problem and cases of him betting against his own side where he's not involved. I suspect I come across as a hand-wringing liberal here (if the cap fits, etc.) but it does seem properly cack-handed to a layman like me.

Alistair20000

Agree on the gym - just don't see what purpose the sanction achieves; particularly in the context of the particular transgression - i.e. someone with a gambling problem and cases of him betting against his own side where he's not involved. I suspect I come across as a hand-wringing liberal here (if the cap fits, etc.) but it does seem properly cack-handed to a layman like me.
As I understand it he has a 4 month ban from training with Brentford. It would be interesting to know the reasons of the sentencing panel for this part of the punishment.

sign of the chimes

As I understand it he has a 4 month ban from training with Brentford. It would be interesting to know the reasons of the sentencing panel for this part of the punishment.
Yes, absoutely - the training ban was the bit of the sanction I was questioning as, to me it doesn't make sense. The playing ban I have no issue with, per se.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Luton Town are promoted!