• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Randell Wins...…..

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
If I remember correctly Morrison and Tisdale were really bigging him up in the build-up to the Liverpool match, and he did score that good goal. It seemed like we were fishing for offers.
Also need to remember that Tom had effectively had the last half of the previous season and the first half of that season as a regular and was scoring at a rate consistent with 20+ goals a campaign. If a twenty year old is doing that, he will be (and was) drawing attention even before the Liverpool game.

IndoMike

Also need to remember that Tom had effectively had the last half of the previous season and the first half of that season as a regular and was scoring at a rate consistent with 20+ goals a campaign. If a twenty year old is doing that, he will be (and was) drawing attention even before the Liverpool game.
I"m a little bit surprised he didn't make better progress.

andrew p long

Good point, though IIRC he was twenty two at the time.

What is really interesting is the division of opinion amongst city fans. There is ( or at least was) a school of thought that it was a disgrace that he ended up leaving, and at such a (thought to be small) fee. Others now think that it was a miracle that we got so much money for him.

Rosencrantz

Good point, though IIRC he was twenty two at the time.

What is really interesting is the division of opinion amongst city fans. There is ( or at least was) a school of thought that it was a disgrace that he ended up leaving, and at such a (thought to be small) fee. Others now think that it was a miracle that we got so much money for him.
I've never really understood those that didn't rate him when he was here. His scoring rate when he got a regular pick and the variety of goals he scored (from tap ins and penalties, headers, to long range and free kicks) stood him out as a goalscorer. His general play which was channel running and getting under defenders feet was improving all the time. By all accounts, he did ok at Posh but it obviously doesn't seem to be working at Rovers although he keeps getting selected. Wouldn't surprise me if he did come back and started scoring again in a Dazza/Curo kind of way.

Leads

Pet hate #3467 people referring to players by their first name!

Good goal btw

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
Pet hate #3467 people referring to players by their first name!

Good goal btw
Agreed. They aren't your mates. Someone does this all the time on facebook, so i blocked him.

exeter-loyal

Great team goal well derserved!'

Ash

Behave! He's still far inconsistent in his delivery and decision making and playing on the wrong side of the pitch amplifies this.
You are wrong.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've never really understood those that didn't rate him when he was here. His scoring rate when he got a regular pick and the variety of goals he scored (from tap ins and penalties, headers, to long range and free kicks) stood him out as a goalscorer. His general play which was channel running and getting under defenders feet was improving all the time. By all accounts, he did ok at Posh but it obviously doesn't seem to be working at Rovers although he keeps getting selected. Wouldn't surprise me if he did come back and started scoring again in a Dazza/Curo kind of way.
I didn't and still don't rate him. He was ok in a few games, scored a few decent goals, played particularly well in the Liverpool home match, but overall he wasn't good enough, and was never looking like he'd become prolific. He buzzed around a lot but on the whole was relatively ineffective. His attitude was suspect, slightly cocky without the goods to back it up, and the nail in the coffin for me was his sending off for a completely unnecessary lashing out at an opponent. Overall I never took to him as a footballer or a person. Would hate to have him back.

Rosencrantz

I didn't and still don't rate him. He was ok in a few games, scored a few decent goals, played particularly well in the Liverpool home match, but overall he wasn't good enough, and was never looking like he'd become prolific. He buzzed around a lot but on the whole was relatively ineffective. His attitude was suspect, slightly cocky without the goods to back it up, and the nail in the coffin for me was his sending off for a completely unnecessary lashing out at an opponent. Overall I never took to him as a footballer or a person. Would hate to have him back.
26 goals in 57 appearances from the time he got in the team regularly in autumn 2014 until he left in January 2016. Just over a seasons worth of appearances and almost 1 in 2 scoring record. Not to be sniffed at and we would be happy to have that strike rate in the side now. Not hard to see why clubs were sniffing around.

As for a person, I have never met him so cannot comment. I never had any problems with his work rate on the pitch or that he had a bit of bite to his game. As a striker smaller in stature than the centre backs he was up against, he gave them something to think about and wasn't bullied. As for lashing out and getting sent off, young players make mistakes, and it was hardly crime of the century, more a nothing flick if I remember right. As long as he learned from it and didn't repeat which to my knowledge he hasn't. Not like the Jake Edwards stamp for example which could have done damage.

Still, different strokes and that.