• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Retained List 2022/23

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
I used to get my papers from Norman Dodgin.

Yes, this is tedious
He once offered me a job delivering them!

Yes, you're right.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
At one point as a kid, Keith Viney was our insurance man's boss and Roy Ireland our window cleaner.

andrew p long

The 'retained list' seems outdated language as 'retain and transfer' has long since been binned. For over 24s out of contract then the position is, whether offered double their previous money, half of it or the same, ..then the player is free to leave with no fee payable.

To pass the time until the list is issued (!) I've been looking up the EFL regs. The list is referred to in Reg 70 and must be submitted by the third Saturday in May (unless you're in the play offs etc). It isn't called 'the retained list' , just the 'List of Players'. It has to list a) players already under contract and b) those out of contract as at 30 June, divided into those respectively offered and not offered a new contract.

News to me was a provision in 68.5 whereby a club merely 'negotiating' to sign an U24 out of contract (Key,Collins etc) can after the expiry of the player's contract (30 June) ask the Tribunal to fix the fee. On another thread I'd suggested such a provision (not realising it already existed!) and others understandably pointed out some downsides. Perhaps the regulation as drawn is a sensible compromise - the Tribunal only gets involved with a possible, but not /agreedcompleted transfer, when the player is in the limbo of his contract having expired on 30 June.

Another reg that was news to me was the provision that offers to players out of contract are deemed to stay open for a month unless formally withdrawn in the meantime.

Alistair20000

He once offered me a job delivering them!

Yes, you're right.
I was never involved but you are both right.

Alistair20000

The 'retained list' seems outdated language as 'retain and transfer' has long since been binned. For over 24s out of contract then the position is, whether offered double their previous money, half of it or the same, ..then the player is free to leave with no fee payable.

To pass the time until the list is issued (!) I've been looking up the EFL regs. The list is referred to in Reg 70 and must be submitted by the third Saturday in May (unless you're in the play offs etc). It isn't called 'the retained list' , just the 'List of Players'. It has to list a) players already under contract and b) those out of contract as at 30 June, divided into those respectively offered and not offered a new contract.

News to me was a provision in 68.5 whereby a club merely 'negotiating' to sign an U24 out of contract (Key,Collins etc) can after the expiry of the player's contract (30 June) ask the Tribunal to fix the fee. On another thread I'd suggested such a provision (not realising it already existed!) and others understandably pointed out some downsides. Perhaps the regulation as drawn is a sensible compromise - the Tribunal only gets involved with a possible, but not /agreedcompleted transfer, when the player is in the limbo of his contract having expired on 30 June.

Another reg that was news to me was the provision that offers to players out of contract are deemed to stay open for a month unless formally withdrawn in the meantime.
If we are now going to have a debate about what "the retained list" should be called we will be fannying around even longer :(

Positive spin

Fred Binney used to live near us and my sister used to babysit for him.
When Clough signed him he quickly departed owing her money.

Leads

That's poor behaviour! Justice for your Sister.

Colesman Ballz

Typical Janner !

dontpassback

50 years ago I lived not far from Graham Parker,who himself IIRC was living just round the corner from the Seven Stars.
Huge relief in the neighbourhood when he finally left the area . He was fine, but those kids of his...:p

Meanwhile, has the retained list been issued yet?
FBH wont be happy

fred binneys head

50 years ago I lived not far from Graham Parker,who himself IIRC was living just round the corner from the Seven Stars.
Huge relief in the neighbourhood when he finally left the area . He was fine, but those kids of his...:p

Meanwhile, has the retained list been issued yet?
Not quite round the corner, we lived just off Church Road in Alphington. But you're right, I imagine the house prices in the area jumped when we moved back to Coventry, mainly due to the noise made by my brother.

Anyway, this retained list......?