• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ryan Woods signs on loan

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
The sending off could usefully be included in the teaching of causation, particularly to demonstrate the mantra that we only *see* events but never *see* causes , which we simply *infer*.

The classic example usually taught relates to snooker when the white ball strikes the red ball. We see the white ball strike the red, we see the white ball stop and we see the red ball move. We think that the white ball has caused the red ball to move but we only infer it, we haven't seen the cause.

That seems difficult to accept, because surely we know that the white ball has caused the red ball to move - and indeed we build laws of motion accordingly.

But then you see Saturday's sending off and all becomes clear. We *see* Woods head go toward Guthrie, we may *see* contact between Woods head and Guthrie's chest and we *see* Guthrie fall to the floor. The referee sees Guthrie fall to the floor and infers but doesn't see that the force of the contact has caused Guthrie to fall.

JCWhoosh

Problem is the movement towards the player is showing intent, whether there was contact or not. Similar to VAR showing hands around a neck or brush to the face.
Really do think that the FA should be looking at the 'victims' action too as to roll around like that is so poor and needs to be stopped, even if it is retrospective action.

fred binneys head

The sending off could usefully be included in the teaching of causation, particularly to demonstrate the mantra that we only *see* events but never *see* causes , which we simply *infer*.

The classic example usually taught relates to snooker when the white ball strikes the red ball. We see the white ball strike the red, we see the white ball stop and we see the red ball move. We think that the white ball has caused the red ball to move but we only infer it, we haven't seen the cause.

That seems difficult to accept, because surely we know that the white ball has caused the red ball to move - and indeed we build laws of motion accordingly.

But then you see Saturday's sending off and all becomes clear. We *see* Woods head go toward Guthrie, we may *see* contact between Woods head and Guthrie's chest and we *see* Guthrie fall to the floor. The referee sees Guthrie fall to the floor and infers but doesn't see that the force of the contact has caused Guthrie to fall.
Or, in other words, Guthrie is a cheating tw@t 😉

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
If we don't sign Woods in the summer I don't think I'll bother next season.

denzel

Think we're missing him today!

Simba3011

The gulf in class between him and our other midfielders is a bit worrying

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
We missed him today. Unfortunately, we're going to miss him next season too.

denzel

We missed him today. Unfortunately, we're going to miss him next season too.
I wouldn't be too sure..

Grecianpasty

I'm confident we can make a deal with Hull to bring him here next season. It's just a question of whether bigger teams will want him.

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wouldn't be too sure..
Hopefully you're right and I'm wrong.