• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

So what is our problem?

Taz

I have read the relegation thread, and some of the things in there made me start wondering, what exactly is the problem at the moment...

We have some fairly good strikers, Stanno, Logie, Fleets (although he could do better I believe) yet the goals have dried up when it comes to the punch... (Personally I'd like to see Watson given a crack at league 1).

Our midfield is ageing but theres no doubt quality there in Harley, Dunne, Cozic and the pensioners Russell and Stewart... but all can do magic on their day.

Defensively Duffy, Taylor (Captain Fantastic!), Tulls, Danny and Troy are all up to it...

Marriott has been good as a second string keeper but a little slow reacting (and that is no slight on Andy whatsoever... he has had a brilliant career!), and I think Jonesy will be welcomed back for his organisation in the defence...

Which leads to my actual question... what is our problem:

Well in my opinion it seems the midfield and attack just arent gelling to each other at the moment... I also look back at the records and notice we have only won one game since Noone left... so maybe our problem is simpler than we all think... We need to get players crossing in to the danger area more, this is what Noone did during his spell here... I know it has been mentioned before but maybe trying to utilize wingers a little more. Okay so we dont have any official 'wingers' on the books at the mo although I think that Norwood could well fit that bill with a bit of crossing training... and maybe even try out Watson on the wing?

That is my humble opinion, whats yours?

ps. I'm sure Tis will keep us up!

Gozzer

Very well known Exeweb poster
On the evidence of particularly the Bristol Rovers match but also a few times before that, Scott Golbourne could do a decent job as a winger. Play him there and we would have a winger on the books, IMO, even though he was signed as a full back. Of course that would mean that Stewrat or Bertie would be on the bench...

I have no doubt that at the moment (although it could change in January) we have the players available to keep us in L1, its all about what Tis can get out of them.

Poultice

The problem ?

We keep getting beat.

Simples.

Banksy

The problem ?

We keep getting beat.

Simples.
Brutal , to the point , but correct ! Heaven help the mood of this site if we lose again this weekend to Southend.

Well-known Exeweb poster
No width, and to many of the same type of players. Makes it 2 easy for opposing managers to work out how to stop us.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Could be because we're missing the 'Exe' factor.

ecfctis

The problem is that other managers don't necessarily have to work out how to stop us, just let us have the ball and we probably won't do too much
with it. We are not particularly dangerous whilst in possession, pit-pat, pit-pat, pit-pat with no threat. Until this changes i.e. width and strikers who
score regularly and consistently, then we've got problems. There are other problems but only Tis can sort them.

budegrecian

We have some fairly good strikers, Stanno, Logie, Fleets (although he could do better I believe) yet the goals have dried up when it comes to the punch... (Personally I'd like to see Watson given a crack at league 1).

... and maybe even try out Watson on the wing?

That is my humble opinion, whats yours?

ps. I'm sure Tis will keep us up!
I note Watson didn't even figure on the bench for the reserves at Portsmouth, so I presume this is very unlikely.

But yes you're correct Tis will definitely keep us up.

oldbutwise

I note Watson didn't even figure on the bench for the reserves at Portsmouth, so I presume this is very unlikely.

But yes you're correct Tis will definitely keep us up.
He got a dead calf last week (the reason he didn't feature in the reserves)

angelic upstart

No width, and to many of the same type of players. Makes it 2 easy for opposing managers to work out how to stop us.
Does it though? How many other clubs play in this way?

We're just not making the chances at the moment. It will happen when you are a struggling team in a division. That wont change, but results will, and they'll fall off again too.