• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Supporters Trust Fans Forum - Thursday 27 July

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
As others have said we have been here before with two previous attempts at having a CEO. I guess the difference then to now is the club was still living hand to mouth before? The appointment of a Chief Financial Officer is a no brainer after Nick H explained that Justin Quick hadn't had time off last year due to all the workload. Clearly that isn't sustainable or a duty of care to our employees. Bringing in a CEO on top at the same time is expensive and I get that compared to getting in another striker nobody is going to say I prefer if the club appoints a well paid suit instead. However, on the face it it when the club is become more professional with eg three recent appointments in the commecial team for example there is a need to have clear and solid leadership and line management/accountability of those employees back to the boardroom. Somebody ultimately has to oversee performance and that can't be an unpaid volunteer like Nick Hawker (that isn't meant as denigrating what he has and is doing well for the club and Trust).

ChardGrecian

We already have board, Head of Operations and Head of Commercial we are getting chief finance officer - all who sit on the board so why do we need another high paid manager.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
We already have board, Head of Operations and Head of Commercial we are getting chief finance officer - all who sit on the board so why do we need another high paid manager.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but those people don't sit on the board but report to the board and they all need someone Managing them hence a CEO

Grecianman135

"Caldwell also spoke at the Fans Forum and openly admitted City’s need for more players, especially experienced ones, proven at League One level. However, that profile of player comes at a cost – and they don’t always want to come to St James Park."

I know it's par for the course as a city fan but the line they don't always want to play for us always annoys me,despite how true it is...

We're still probably 3-4 players away from a squad you could "rely on" in games this season at present I'm going to be brutally honest doesn't fill me with much confidence,that may change by the end of the window but GC's comments about signings doesn't fill me with confidence another loan presumably the young lad from Fulham.... probably a great prospect but again no experience... and we've also let Caprice go (a squad player) but haven't even replaced him, we've got one recognised goalscorer,who as the past few games have shown hasn't got any service,the midfield still looks rather weak,we can't seem to get a tune out of any of the defence hopefully Jules can help with that, but was he signed as a bench warmer... who knows..

And the keepers don't fill me with confidence either.

I hope I'm wrong on it all, but at present it seems a worry this close to the season we need points on the board ASAP to sustain what we've worked so hard to achieve.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
"Caldwell also spoke at the Fans Forum and openly admitted City’s need for more players, especially experienced ones, proven at League One level. However, that profile of player comes at a cost – and they don’t always want to come to St James Park."

I know it's par for the course as a city fan but the line they don't always want to play for us always annoys me,despite how true it is...

We're still probably 3-4 players away from a squad you could "rely on" in games this season at present I'm going to be brutally honest doesn't fill me with much confidence,that may change by the end of the window but GC's comments about signings doesn't fill me with confidence another loan presumably the young lad from Fulham.... probably a great prospect but again no experience... and we've also let Caprice go (a squad player) but haven't even replaced him, we've got one recognised goalscorer,who as the past few games have shown hasn't got any service,the midfield still looks rather weak,we can't seem to get a tune out of any of the defence hopefully Jules can help with that, but was he signed as a bench warmer... who knows..

And the keepers don't fill me with confidence either.

I hope I'm wrong on it all, but at present it seems a worry this close to the season we need points on the board ASAP to sustain what we've worked so hard to achieve.
Young lad from Fulham has gone elsewhere.

Grecianman135

Apologies I wasn't aware of that but I do hope this other loan GC spoke of has a bit more experience

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
where?

iscalad

My bad. Wrong player. Have apologised on another thread.

Rosencrantz

Exactly on his own initiative NOT because of his manager.
Stanley Matthews initiated his own diet / training regimes.
Seb was effectively his own coach in those days. It was just an example of the psychological effect as well as physical. Ever heard of "going the extra mile" 🙂

Topsham Boy

You were banging on about the club being run by a ‘village fete committee’ the other day, now we’re professionalising that’s not right either.

I’m all for people expressing their views but please be consistent.

Nick Hawker said last night, he’s coming up for 66 years old, he’s done a really good job but you can’t expect these people to give their time and suffer the stress just because they love the club. It’s not fair or realistic to operate like that.

Accounts for y/e June 22 shows a turnover of £4.5m, total staff numbers at 212, TOTAL DIRECTORS REMUNERATION JUST £71k.

This is a business that must invest off field to secure the current success and plan for the next steps.

So, what do you want? A professional set up or the ‘village fete committee’?
Completely agree. The new CEO and CFO need to be judged on what financial value they bring to the club through their work, experience, connections, professionalism . Pure and simple.