• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Supporters Trust Fans Forum - Thursday 27 July

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Completely agree. The new CEO and CFO need to be judged on what financial value they bring to the club through their work, experience, connections, professionalism . Pure and simple.
It appears the new CEO has failed spectacturaly in being a key part of the recruitment process used for the appointment of our current manager. According to his talk at the recent Trust AGM he was trusted to oversee the process due to his expertise in previous recruitment. I'm beginning to wonder whether the more traditional ways of recruiting a manager were changed for the process of our current manager onthe advice of Jeremy Tipper? I'm not sure recruitment in blue chip companies are a good gauge of getting the best candidate in the football world.

Mid Devon Grecian

It appears the new CEO has failed spectacturaly in being a key part of the recruitment process used for the appointment of our current manager. According to his talk at the recent Trust AGM he was trusted to oversee the process due to his expertise in previous recruitment. I'm beginning to wonder whether the more traditional ways of recruiting a manager were changed for the process of our current manager onthe advice of Jeremy Tipper? I'm not sure recruitment in blue chip companies are a good gauge of getting the best candidate in the football world.
I had the same thoughts after the AGM. I think it was Nick Hawker waxing lyrical about the extremely thorough recruitment process and a comment from one of the other candidates for the job was mentioned I.e. he’d never experienced anything like it in football!

I was supportive of the appointment of a CEO until I found out this guy is doing it for ‘expenses’ and some lodgings.

We need firm leadership now but what incentive is there for him to deal with this matter? He was integral to the appointment, he’s financially independent and not getting paid for the role he now needs to step up to and put some hard graft in.

Being the Chief Executive Officer he should be advising the board on this matter. He’s the most senior ‘employee’ in the business.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
Which all comes back to a dearth of people with even a smidgen of football knowledge being involved (apart from JT). I was never a big fan but I'd lay a bet that had Steve Perryman been involved it would have been different.

As I mentioned on another thread, back in the day, Edward Chorlton was headhunted as Chief Executive when his only claim to football knowledge was a lifelong love of Man Utd and (reportedly) a private box at Old Trafford. It's easy for the lay person to have their head turned by "knowlege and kudos". I remember it being said (I think even in print) that he was a man with 'gravitas' which was what we needed.

As has been said before, a number of times, the football business is a very different animal to ordinary business.
Our venerable CEO was in Red Square before the match yesterday looking very laid back and relaxed. It was more than many of us did.

Last edited:

Boyo

Which all comes back to a dearth of people with even a smidgen of football knowledge being involved (apart from JT). I was never a big fan but I'd lay a bet that had Steve Perryman been involved it would have been different.
Everyone has 20:20 vision in hindsight.

Out of interest, of the potential managers linked to the job last time, which if any, have been appointed elsewhere? I can only remember David Artell, formerly of Crewe (got them relegated), who has very recently been appointed at Grimsby.

Quite possibly Caldwell genuinely was the best candidate for the job.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Out of interest, of the potential managers linked to the job last time, which if any, have been appointed elsewhere? I can only remember David Artell, formerly of Crewe (got them relegated), who has very recently been appointed at Grimsby.

In my experience, if you do not have an adequate applicant, you advertise again - possibly more widely. And, if necessary, again. You don't just appoint the best of an indifferent bunch.

What I am also perplexed about is that we were told that there were very few applicants. I don't believe this has happened previously. When Tisdale was appointed there were a decent number of applicants and I believe that six were actually shortlisted and interviewed.

StudentGrecian

The crux of the problem for me is they didn't even bother identifying anyone, just put out a job advert for the washed up managers to apply for. If we're always succession planning, why were we not identifying targets earlier. There are plenty of young up and coming coaches and managers, some might not apply as it may not even be in their vision, but if you went after and recruited them we might find them interested.

It's the same little old Exeter mentality that is gonna hinder us moving forward as club. It'd probably the reason we will stick with GC, because they don't want or see the need too after a long period of plain sailing. They haven't had to act before because we have been relatively successful, but they shouldn't be mistaking that as us giving blind faith to every manager we bring in.

Last edited:

Boyo

In my experience, if you do not have an adequate applicant, you advertise again - possibly more widely. And, if necessary, again. You don't just appoint the best of an indifferent bunch.

What I am also perplexed about is that we were told that there were very few applicants. I don't believe this has happened previously. When Tisdale was appointed there were a decent number of applicants and I believe that six were actually shortlisted and interviewed.
Oh come on, do you really think they thought that Caldwell was inadequate, but just appointed him because there was no one better? They thought they were appointing someone with experience including a L1 promotion, with a decent contact list and someone who brought into the concept of a Trust run club.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Oh come on, do you really think they thought that Caldwell was inadequate, but just appointed him because there was no one better? They thought they were appointing someone with experience including a L1 promotion, with a decent contact list and someone who brought into the concept of a Trust run club.
That went well then......

JGrecian23

Exactly! And if you do appoint the best of a bad bunch, don't give them a contract you can't afford to terminate (supposedly!).

Spoonz Red E

It would be interesting to know who said that.

Jeremy Tipper at the Trust Forum
"I think we had 199 applications for the role and we whittled that down through a quite arduous and long Zoom call to 14 or 15 people that we
subsequently met"