• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Survival a possibility with Tisdale in charge?

Taz

There comes a crunch time in every football clubs history when hard decisions have to be made about the clubs future... and at present I believe we are at a point in ECFC's history where this rings true.

We are looking at the possibility of relegation from the league this season, coupled with crowds being down (and hence revenue) due to the boring, unproductive style of play. I can appreciate the 'no cash for players' argument however I CAN NOT appreciate the good players sitting on the bench routine (aka Wheeler).

Tisdale's stubbornness to try something different looks likely to cost us our league place; and I appreciate some may say its early in the season yet... however if you look at the horrendous results during the second half of last season, the run of form would put us as absolute favourites for relegation this season.

Which brings me to the ULTIMATE question... Is survival a possibility with Tisdale in charge?

Well I think we could be talking about 2 kinds of survival:
a) Our league place, can we keep that?
b) Our actual club, can it survive being relegated?

I believe both go hand in hand at the moment... I honestly can't see the club surviving a drop in to the conference; mainly due to the money lost from the actual League and TV rights itself... I appreciate there is a hardcore base of fans that would follow The City wherever; however would the revenue be there to sustain it? I don't believe it would.

So then I hear the cry of "We can't afford to sack Tisdale" ... well unless he pulls his socks up, smells the coffee and starts playing a style of football that excites the fans ... I retort with "Can we survive as a club if we don't sack Tisdale"

I appreciate there is a lot of 'history' with PT and I agree that for a while he was our saviour; but football is a cruel game... and unless you adapt, you don't survive. Similar to actually playing the game we cant allow past glories to dictate the future... else we might as well be still playing Flack and Devine up front...

So whoever runs for the Trust (and I admit I thought long and hard about running... but the better half handed out an 'ultimatum') I just hope they push to do the right thing and strike whilst the irons hot!

motorservices

AGREED 110%, we need to go back to basics, the sort of basics that win football matches, not tippy tappy football, its pointless stringing 10 passes together if we dont get a shot in, we need direct football, win ugly if thats what it takes

sumner7

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone would think from watching last night that City seem to think lots of passing wins you games.

I hate to say it, but it seems to me we've lost the plot a bit. I really can't see where the next goal is going to come from.

Watching the last two games at Burton and Argyle has been really depressing - we didn't look like we wanted it enough in both games. How is it that something as clear as day to the fans the manager and players cannot see?

I'm thankful for the good times we had under Tis, but if this form continues for the next 2 months, then it might be best for both parties if he moves on. Is he getting bored here perhaps? Regardless, no one person should be bigger than ECFC.

denzil

"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!" Oliver Cromwell

In other words "Good bye" - thanks for the ride but the wheels are coming off !!

Last edited:

Red Monster

There must must be some money available to bring in a couple of players, Cummins and Ribeiro signings were not depending on Danny Coles leaving ,
Coles must have been our highest earner so surely his wages 70-90K can be used to strengthen the squad.

whacker

....... How is it that something as clear as day to the fans the manager and players cannot see?

I'm thankful for the good times we had under Tis, but if this form continues for the next 2 months, then it might be best for both parties if he moves on. Is he getting bored here perhaps? Regardless, no one person should be bigger than ECFC.
I am guessing that Tis knows that he is 'unsackable' and unlikely to be sought after elsewhere currently, so he is just running the clock down. He is also undoubtedly aware of the Football Creditors rule in the event of the inevitable Administration or worse that will come rather sooner than later, so he won't be at all concerned at the current state of the club as he will probably emerge unscathed. Thus, sod the paying spectators, I am alright Jack!

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
I hate to say it, but it seems to me we've lost the plot a bit. I really can't see where the next goal is going to come from.
But isn't this all down to Tisdale and the way he sets up with his defensive mind set...as soon as we get on the front foot late on in games we have the players to create chances and look a completely different side.

I can't see how we can continue to set up like we are without getting some results soon.... and for him to remain as manager beyond the next a dozen games

denzil

I really have had enough of our sterile tactics of pointless (no pun intended) tippy tappy football with no end product. I personally have had my fill of the Manager and it is about time he recognised that the end has been reached. The best crop of youngsters we have ever had is about (well, already in the process) to be ruined or even sold off to make ends meet as attendences plummet.

Already the only option appears to be to get a couple of hungry loan players in from the Championship which would benefit us and their parent Clubs in them gettiung match practice and us a few points on the board.

Tisdale does not appear to be able to change tactics or even admit he is wrong with team selections. IF Wheeler still has this bug come out and say - COMMUNICATE with your fans FFS !! Perhaps we may understand more that way of your tactics.

A LONG LONG SEASON IS UPON US AND WE'RE ONLY INTO GAME 3 !!! It is no longer a pleasure to go to S.J.P. on a Saturday afternoon.

Last edited:

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Anyone would think from watching last night that City seem to think lots of passing wins you games.

Watching the last two games at Burton and Argyle has been really depressing - we didn't look like we wanted it enough in both games. How is it that something as clear as day to the fans the manager and players cannot see?

I believe most of us thought the first three league games were going to be tough including of course the league cup tie against Bournemouth.

This has proved to be so but Tisdale's approach and team selection certainly has not helped. My concern is and always has been the effect a shakey start would have on the morale of our young players. The next five or six games are going to be crucial particularly the next three home games. A continuation of our abysmal home form would inevitably see our attendances and finances plummet. Home form is going to be the key to our survival. If Tisdale fails to deliver over these next few games the Trust and the Club Board have to take whatever action they can to remove him from his position.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
There must must be some money available to bring in a couple of players, Cummins and Ribeiro signings were not depending on Danny Coles leaving ,
Coles must have been our highest earner so surely his wages 70-90K can be used to strengthen the squad.
If this were the case, and it could well be, for me the key difference would be a player oft mentioned on these boards who is currently kicking his heels in the stiffs at his current club.

Ryan Harley is, for me, the missing piece in the jigsaw that could mean the difference between looking nervously at the bottom of the table and casting admiring glances up at the top 7. We have a good keeper, the defence especially when Ribeiro and JMT return is solid enough, Cummins and Nichols can click up front, what we urgently need is a creative spark in midfield. If you're not creating chances you won't score, and Harley creates chances.