• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The 20 fiercest rivalries in English football

The game is never sold out now because the rivalry has been so intense that the trouble at these games has warranted excessive policing and inflated ticket prices to pay for this policing and people don't want to be among the wrong people in the wrong place in these games. People have been frightened off. You're not going to take the family to this game. In The last TV game in the FA Cup at home park the nutural commentator stated " This Derby is right up with the best of them, these clubs really don't like each other" Anyone thinking anything else is kidding themselves.
You should get out more

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
The game is never sold out now because the rivalry has been so intense that the trouble at these games has warranted excessive policing and inflated ticket prices to pay for this policing and people don't want to be among the wrong people in the wrong place in these games. People have been frightened off. You're not going to take the family to this game. In The last TV game in the FA Cup at home park the nutural commentator stated " This Derby is right up with the best of them, these clubs really don't like each other" Anyone thinking anything else is kidding themselves.
Nonsense, in 2011 we took 2200 fans, 1600 last season and 800 this season. There's been no trouble since the Jpt game which was before all of these. We just don't care.

It's my biggest rivalry, I just don't think it's big in the grand scheme of things however much we want it to be.

Incidentally, I found leaving Old Trafford after the cup draw far more hair raising than any plymouth game.

Last edited:

motorservices

Nonsense, in 2011 we took 2200 fans, 1600 last season and 800 this season. There's been no trouble since the Jpt game which was before all of these. We just don't care.

It's my biggest rivalry, I just don't think it's big in the grand scheme of things however much we want it to be.

Incidentally, I found leaving Old Trafford after the cup draw far more hair raising than any plymouth game.
Actually in March when we beat them 2-1 we took less than 900

angelic upstart

Actually in March when we beat them 2-1 we took less than 900
So the 30000 we can take to Wembley, the 9k we can take to OT, the 5k we took to Charlton we can't even take 1k to "one of the top 20 derby games in the country"

Silver fox

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/picturegalleries/11197636/The-20-fiercest-rivalries-in-English-football-by-Jonathan-Liew.html

He's got Hereford United v Shrewsbury Town & Chester v Wrexham in there, but no City vs Argyle!! Poor show dear boy.
Been quiet a few in the eighties B-) JPT at Arggigles up there with the best of them and Deffo a fierce rivalry IMO.

Rog H K

Perhaps those who think Plymouth don't care about us and think there has not been trouble since JPT should watch this. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a-I7HXon1IY

motorservices

So the 30000 we can take to Wembley, the 9k we can take to OT, the 5k we took to Charlton we can't even take 1k to "one of the top 20 derby games in the country"
And this is the problem, WE DIDNT take 30k ECFC fans to Wembley, most wanted a day out at the new Wembley, same as OT, plastics that live in this area, we have a hard core of about 3k that will turn up every home game, taking a 1/3 of that to an away game is ok IMHO, i wouldnt dream of taking my 5yr old to the home or away fixture againt them, and im sure there are many many others who feel the same/cant be bothered with the trouble you get down there

Also out of the 80K man u fans in OT i wonder how many they take to man C i bet its not a 1/3 of the OT crowd :p

Antony Moxey

And this is the problem, WE DIDNT take 30k ECFC fans to Wembley, most wanted a day out at the new Wembley, same as OT, plastics that live in this area, we have a hard core of about 3k that will turn up every home game, taking a 1/3 of that to an away game is ok IMHO, i wouldnt dream of taking my 5yr old to the home or away fixture againt them, and im sure there are many many others who feel the same/cant be bothered with the trouble you get down there

Also out of the 80K man u fans in OT i wonder how many they take to man C i bet its not a 1/3 of the OT crowd :p
Where do people get the notion we have a hardcore of 3k? This is clearly nonsense otherwise we'd never have a crowd below 3k plus away fans. I'd say our hardcore who genuinely turn up for every home game is probably only half that.

motorservices

Perhaps those who think Plymouth don't care about us and think there has not been trouble since JPT should watch this. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a-I7HXon1IY
yep, Rog its true they dont care about us in the sligthest :) and then post that vid online proving they hate us with a passion

motorservices

Where do people get the notion we have a hardcore of 3k? This is clearly nonsense otherwise we'd never have a crowd below 3k plus away fans. I'd say our hardcore who genuinely turn up for every home game is probably only half that.
we have had very very few sum 3k gates in the last 5 yrs (for a league game) even though we have been total dog **** at home, so its fair to say we have a hard core of 3k

You will disagree with his, and somehow justify it, because you seem to get off on that, but you cant argue the above fact