• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The BBC

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
If we’re talking about men’s football, then I think the balance of black pundits to white feels about right. A purely unscientific based opinion of course.
Yeh I concur.

Do you not think then that, due to the prevalence of sports coverage (particularly football), the TV representation figures are going to be weighted towards black presenters due to their over indexing in that area?

If there was as much short mat bowls* on the TV as there is football, I'd wager the black presenter % across TV would come down significantly.

*I miss Grandstand

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yeh I concur.

Do you not think then that, due to the prevalence of sports coverage (particularly football), the TV representation figures are going to be weighted towards black presenters due to their over indexing in that area?
If only the rationale for pundit selection was as you describe. Women’s football coverage seems to be the almost complete purview of Women exclusively, yet the men’s game is seemingly the victim of some sort of bizarre social engineering experiment. 🤷‍♂️

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
If only the rationale for pundit selection was as you describe. Women’s football coverage seems to be the almost complete purview of Women exclusively, yet the men’s game is seemingly the victim of some sort of bizarre social engineering experiment. 🤷‍♂️
Hang on, I thought we were talking about ethnicity?

tavyred

Hang on, I thought we were talking about ethnicity?
We were, discussions evolve BB. 😎

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
We were, discussions evolve BB. 😎
Seems a bit of a shame that you chose to quickly 'evolve' it just when I'd made what (I modestly thought) was an excellent point about what black people might be 'over represented' on TV - which directly related to your original gripe.

tavyred

Seems a bit of a shame that you chose to quickly 'evolve' it just when I'd made what (I modestly thought) was an excellent point about what black people might be 'over represented' on TV - which directly related to your original gripe.
I thought I conceded that as regards as men’s football was concerned the black representation was about right?

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
I thought I conceded that as regards as men’s football was concerned the black representation was about right?
Yes, but do you also concede that the prevalence of sport, particularly footfall, on TV will go a long way to explain the overall over represtation of black people on TV (which so irks you)?

tavyred

Yes, but do you also concede that the prevalence of sport, particularly footfall, on TV will go a long way to explain the overall over represtation of black people on TV (which so irks you)?
No I don’t.
Men’s football is just one part of the discussion. BTW have you decided if black over representation on TV “irks” you yet?

iscalad

No I don’t.
Men’s football is just one part of the discussion. BTW have you decided if black over representation on TV “irks” you yet?
What difference does it make?? As long they know what they're talking about it makes no difference what colour they are.

tavyred

What difference does it make?? As long they know what they're talking about it makes no difference what colour they are.
I agree.
Then why are black people over represented?
Are they just better?