• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Blame Game at No.11 (No.10)

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
He has blamed snow, and he has blamed the Royal Wedding.

What will Mr.Osborne find to blame for the state of the economy on Tuesday?

All answers, even cheese related, are welcomed. Perhaps when Gideon runs out of ideas he can turn to this thread for assistance.
I thought the Royals were supposed to be a nice little earner for the country. Don't tell me that governments have been pulling the wool over our eyes. I've been had!

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I thought the Royals were supposed to be a nice little earner for the country. Don't tell me that governments have been pulling the wool over our eyes. I've been had!
I think it was the effect of having an extra Bank Holiday, which affects trade and production. Especially also with the wedding being the same week as Easter Monday and preceeding the Mayday Bank Holiday, meaning lots of folk (myself included) took the three days off in between in order to get 11 (or in my case 12 as we get Maundy Thursday off here) days holiday for the price of 3.

mfcrocker

But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day...
I think it was the effect of having an extra Bank Holiday, which affects trade and production. Especially also with the wedding being the same week as Easter Monday and preceeding the Mayday Bank Holiday, meaning lots of folk (myself included) took the three days off in between in order to get 11 (or in my case 12 as we get Maundy Thursday off here) days holiday for the price of 3.
The 3 days jollies you took won't have aversely effected trade/production as they would be factored in as part of your yearly allowance.

FWIW I also took those 3 days and it was awesome :D

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
The 3 days jollies you took won't have aversely effected trade/production as they would be factored in as part of your yearly allowance.

FWIW I also took those 3 days and it was awesome :D
Self-employed people get yearly allowances, of course.

Bittners a Legend

The RW argument was nonsense. You can find whatever you like when using figures. Some areas of the economy will have been boosted by the RW wedding ... people eat, travel, and drink more when they have time off. Retail also takes a boost in terms of monies spent - and retail workers broadly didn't have the same amount of time off as those in office jobs could take.

Alistair20000

We wouldn't be in this mess if more people bought Somerset brie instead of French brie.
Stroudy isn't buying any Brie, or for that matter, any cheese at all. If only he would open his wallet things would turn round rapidly.

mfcrocker

But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day...
Self-employed people get yearly allowances, of course.
Touché, though there aren't huge numbers of self-employed.

Mr Jinx

Not huge, but at over 4 million, fairly significant.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
12% of the workforce back in 2006, not sure about now.

StroudGrecian

Stroudy isn't buying any Brie, or for that matter, any cheese at all. If only he would open his wallet things would turn round rapidly.
Well as that most respected of political commentators Mr Jinx has already pointed out, 'you can't buy your way out of recession', so it would appear I am doing the responsible thing. For once.