• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The McCormick Treatment...

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
As somebody who has lost a family member to a drink driver, the chanting makes me feel both sad and angry.

Leave the family to their grief. Do not insult or use the memory of their children to make some cheap, nasty point at a football match. Do not pretend you are doing it for anybody but yourself.
My late wife lost her younger brother to a drunk driver as he walked to a Swindon Speedway match. Some years later she was in a Swindon amusement arcade with her dad when when the man responsible walked in laughing and joking with a friend. Try and imagine how they felt. Years later my wife's dad could get by over the loss of his son to the extent that we could go out and enjoy a pint together or visiting gardening centre's which he enjoyed.

As for the parents of those two small boys, they didn't get off so lightly simply because the father is confined to a wheelchair, therefore the poor mother's day starts from getting her husband out of bed, going through their daily routine before preparing him for bed again. Some day, some week, some life.

Why'll I don't suppose I could bring myself to barrack the fellow, neither will I be making excuses for him either.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Whilst the topic of this thread refers to the treatment of McCormick by City fans, and whilst the figures show that drink-driving is a/the major cause of traffic accidents, another cause for concern is the growing number of deaths on the road directly related to people using their mobile phones when driving. This is also very irresponsible in my opinion and the fines for the first two offenses are derisory.

Last edited:

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Whilst the topic of this thread refers to the treatment of McCormick by City fans, and whilst the figures show that drink-driving is a/the major cause of traffic accidents, another cause for concern is the growing number of deaths on the road directly related to people using their mobile phones when driving. This is also very irresponsible in my opinion and the fines for the first two offences are derisory.
I've long been an advocate of tightening the law to make mobile phone use at the wheel equivalent to drunk driving in terms of punishment. Just last week I was sharing the road with someone on their phone while driving which inhibited them just as much as being paralytic would have done.

IndoMike

I've long been an advocate of tightening the law to make mobile phone use at the wheel equivalent to drunk driving in terms of punishment. Just last week I was sharing the road with someone on their phone while driving which inhibited them just as much as being paralytic would have done.
If ever I'm in a taxi for example and the driver receives a call I remind him that his family would prefer him to arrive home still alive and make him turn the call off immediately.
It's so easy to lose your concentration especially when on a long drive and mobile phones don't exactly help. Of course, lack of sleep before setting off is another cause.

Grecian_in_Plymouth

I have a feeling that LM’s personal demons will trump anything that some bunch of yoofs on the BB can conjure up.
agreed......

ExeterCityLad

I'd rather we made other things illegal rather than tightening the law on mobile phones. Changing the radio station, smoking, kids in the back

If ever I'm in a taxi for example and the driver receives a call I remind him that his family would prefer him to arrive home still alive and make him turn the call off immediately.
It's so easy to lose your concentration especially when on a long drive and mobile phones don't exactly help. Of course, lack of sleep before setting off is another cause.
What taxi in 2018 doesn't have hands free?

IndoMike

I'd rather we made other things illegal rather than tightening the law on mobile phones. Changing the radio station, smoking, kids in the back

What taxi in 2018 doesn't have hands free?
Maybe : so why are there accidents caused by drivers using mobile phones?

ExeterCityLad

Maybe : so why are there accidents caused by drivers using mobile phones?
What? ......

Red Bill

He knew he shouldn't have been driving even if he wasn't drinking the night before ..... Remember he didn't even have insurance to be driving !

And RB if you thought drink driving was something to laugh about the next morning even in your younger days then im so glad none of my family members decided to cross the road in front of you or be in a car on the same stretch of road.

Had a mate of 20+ years stood in the pub next to me saying how he was going to lose his job and probably his house because he been caught driving with excess alcohol in his system (3 times the limit) 2 days before , my reaction ? Tough $hit he knew what he would lose if caught and all because he drove less than a mile to get a takeaway after being on the pi$$.
So am I!!!

But lets not pretend it wasn't a common attitude back then. I reckon half the people in the pub used to drive themselves home after spending all night in the pub. It wasn't right and thank god attitudes have changed, but lets no pretend it was rare, particularly amongst youngsters!

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
So am I!!!

But lets not pretend it wasn't a common attitude back then. I reckon half the people in the pub used to drive themselves home after spending all night in the pub. It wasn't right and thank god attitudes have changed, but lets no pretend it was rare, particularly amongst youngsters!
Indeed - while most people I know don't knowingly drive over the limit (I say "most", there are a few I know who do), many who are of a certain age certainly *used to* back in the day before it became socially unacceptable.