• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The McCormick Treatment...

Fareham Grecian

Hell, I was over the limit, without a doubt!! A medium once said I have a guardian angel. I reckon it sprang into action for me a time or two!
So you are morally as guilty as McCormick.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
So you are morally as guilty as McCormick.
I wouldn’t say so. It’s not often I stick up for Pete but he’s probably talking about 40+ years ago. You can’t put today’s values on things that happened in the past - there are all manner of things that are no longer socially acceptable that were commonplace throughout history, you can’t condemn them as being the same as if they happened today.

PeteUSA

I wouldn’t say so. It’s not often I stick up for Pete but he’s probably talking about 40+ years ago.
Quite so, Ant. New Years Day 1990 Our promotion season - City v Torquay U. We won 3-0. Not quite 40 years but over 30!!

The Doctor

It was widely reported that he had a good drink and then maybe slept for an hour or two before jumping in his range rover and driving 'like a lunatic' (according to witnesses) because he had relationship issues he felt needed sorting. He was texted/phoned by a teammate who pleaded with him to pull over at the next services but he ignored this and claimed he fell asleep at the wheel when the tragic incident happened. It was a dreadful, selfish decision and I have no sympathy for him whatsover.

It reminds me of the Lee Hughes incident. He also drove like a lunatic after allegedly spending the night boozing and killed one man as well as paralysing another. He fled the scene and went on the run for a day or two before handing himself him. That upsets me a great deal but more so as he then went on to continue earning a very good living playing football. That may be fair to some but the thing that annoyed me most was that he publicly continued his court jester celebration after each goal. I can't imagine the pain and the fury that the victim's family would have felt seeing this in the public eye. He played against Bromsgrove for Worcester last season and openly laughed at the abuse he received.

Both acts were borne of astonishing selfishness. I am all for forgiveness but there has to be a high level of remorse and reparations for their acts. I hope that McCormick does a lot of charity work and campaigning against drink driving. But I could never condemn someone for being openly hostile to someone who has committed such a crime, they made their bed and have to lie in it IMO. Sorry if that offends anyone but I wouldn't be bleating at the unfairness of my treatment if I made such a terrible decision.

PeteUSA

It was widely reported that he had a good drink and then maybe slept for an hour or two before jumping in his range rover and driving 'like a lunatic' (according to witnesses) because he had relationship issues he felt needed sorting. He was texted/phoned by a teammate who pleaded with him to pull over at the next services but he ignored this and claimed he fell asleep at the wheel when the tragic incident happened. It was a dreadful, selfish decision and I have no sympathy for him whatsover.

It reminds me of the Lee Hughes incident. He also drove like a lunatic after allegedly spending the night boozing and killed one man as well as paralysing another. He fled the scene and went on the run for a day or two before handing himself him. That upsets me a great deal but more so as he then went on to continue earning a very good living playing football. That may be fair to some but the thing that annoyed me most was that he publicly continued his court jester celebration after each goal. I can't imagine the pain and the fury that the victim's family would have felt seeing this in the public eye. He played against Bromsgrove for Worcester last season and openly laughed at the abuse he received.

Both acts were borne of astonishing selfishness. I am all for forgiveness but there has to be a high level of remorse and reparations for their acts. I hope that McCormick does a lot of charity work and campaigning against drink driving. But I could never condemn someone for being openly hostile to someone who has committed such a crime, they made their bed and have to lie in it IMO. Sorry if that offends anyone but I wouldn't be bleating at the unfairness of my treatment if I made such a terrible decision.
Good post. Re: Charity work and campaigning plus remorse and reparations, Somebody said earlier that he gives half his paycheck to charity; I dont know how true that is. I think that with counselling, he's probably re-programmed his brain to laugh in the face of abuse; I dont see what else he could do if he let abuse from fans get to him?

The Doctor

I hope it's true Pete and that McCormick is making as much of a difference as he can. But, obviously I can't say for sure, but if it were me I would take any abuse solemnly on the chin. Laughing about it seems to suggest you don't give a ****. I'm referring to Lee Hughes by the way on this point.

Fareham Grecian

Quite so, Ant. New Years Day 1990 Our promotion season - City v Torquay U. We won 3-0. Not quite 40 years but over 30!!
So you can’t do maths (or ‘math’ as you would probably call it) OR English...

PeteUSA

So you can’t do maths (or ‘math’ as you would probably call it) OR English...
"Do the math" - That's one saying or word that I haven't taken on board in the past 25 years. Spelling the american way is somewhat inevitable if you're working all day every day with members of the american public, as I did. I've gotten (theres another one) quite used to it. They dont do irony, so I never got into UK alternatives. I'm seeing 'gotten' more and more on exeweb, so I guess its making inroads into the UK vocabulary? Which is totally irrelevant in a Luke McCormick thread!

andrew p long

It reminds me of the Lee Hughes incident. He also drove like a lunatic after allegedly spending the night boozing and killed one man as well as paralysing another. He fled the scene and went on the run for a day or two before handing himself him. That upsets me a great deal but more so as he then went on to continue earning a very good living playing football.
For what it is worth, Lee Hughes was declared bankrupt earlier this year. Seems he has spent all (and more) of what he was paid.

PeteUSA

For what it is worth, Lee Hughes was declared bankrupt earlier this year. Seems he has spent all (and more) of what he was paid.
Now all he has is memories to go on with, including the accident where he was responsible for loss of life!