• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Official Exeter City versus Satanage Matchday Thread

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
I did enjoy the game yesterday. We played some great stuff BUT we still didn't really create a lot...

Totally agree that we handled their physicality well, something that wouldn't have happened earlier in the season; Leyton Orient comes to mind. The wind did spoil the game to a big degree, but our style of football dealt with the conditions far better than their one dimensional hoof the ball up in the air and look for the big fellas to win it and hopefully win second ball. It was more of football v anti football. Defenders played well in dealing with this and for me Will Aimson again was outstanding. After Sonny charged down the keepers clearance I was glad that the chance fell to Reece, as he had the confidence and technique to put it away without taking a touch. It wasn't as easy as it looked.

Bridgy 81

^^^
I think one of the good things about football is that you get different teams playing it in different ways.
Like yesterday by the sound of it.
I think clashes of styles can be an interesting aspect of the game.
I suppose the trick to being a very good team though is to be able to impose your method on your opponents or tweak it when it isn’t working whilst of course successfully nullifying theirs, whatever it might be.

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Another early start for me with no thread up, better start one then. A chance for my hat trick of Matchday Thread wins. C'MON YOU REDS!!!!!!
Well done on your hattrick Ian.

Mid Devon Grecian

Was talking about this with mate yesterday at the game - there have been some occasions where we’ve switched to two up front during the game this year so I don’t think that’s totally out of the question

In my mind mind the no.9 in our current system remains very isolated and waiting for scraps or moments - I definitely wouldn’t be against GC switch it up from his favourite of two 10s behind a 9 to one 10 behind two 9s
I just said the same thing over on the 24/25 thread https://www.exeweb.com/forums/threads/2024-summer-transfer-window.64895/post-2306108

Mid Devon Grecian

Well done on your hattrick Ian.
First one he’s ever scored? 😉

andrew p long

A hat trick it is then.😉
Sign him up!

(as a match day thread starter, not as a striker, obviously ;) )

Rosencrantz

I think the two up top with a 10 depends on getting the midfield two robust enough. It was noticeable that Matt immediately dropped that formation (and with it MJ) as soon as we hit L1 to go with a midfield three. He only went with a three up front (Sam, Jevani and Stanno) at FGR due to injuries to Kite and Dieng, preferring to play Stanno over Kegs.

GC's answer to this is the box midfield with two 10's that can bolster the midfield and also get into the box. This does call for a certain type of centre forward and we haven't really had one, however well Sonny has done to try to adapt to the role. We also have needed more goals from those 10's.

It will be interesting to see how it shapes up next season and will depend a lot on recruitment to see if we can switch things up.

Bridgy 81

I think the two up top with a 10 depends on getting the midfield two robust enough. It was noticeable that Matt immediately dropped that formation (and with it MJ) as soon as we hit L1 to go with a midfield three. He only went with a three up front (Sam, Jevani and Stanno) at FGR due to injuries to Kite and Dieng, preferring to play Stanno over Kegs.

GC's answer to this is the box midfield with two 10's that can bolster the midfield and also get into the box. This does call for a certain type of centre forward and we haven't really had one, however well Sonny has done to try to adapt to the role. We also have needed more goals from those 10's.

It will be interesting to see how it shapes up next season and will depend a lot on recruitment to see if we can switch things up.
I think you talk too much sense too frequently to be on here 🙂

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The 360 version