• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Politics Thread USA Edition

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
So what will happen should Trump win the next US election?

- Will he have all his enemies arrested?
(He is known to be vindictive).
- Will he change and become more benevolent.
- Will he suspend all political institutions ?
- Wil he coerce the US army into being at his beck and call?
- Will he form an alliance with Putin?..
The Armed forces in the US swear an oath to the flag and the constitution, Not to any particular President, If he tried to change that he'll be on a hiding to nothing, That'll probably be the same if he tried to have his opponents arrested, He maybe powerful, rich etc but so are his opponents, I think only a country wide state of emergency can he suspend all political institutions. Since Trump came to power I've learnt that each state as a whole has more power domestically than a President. The US is more divided than ever, The best thing imo is the GOP need to loosen their ties with Trump but that at the moment seems very unlikely.

IndoMike

The Armed forces in the US swear an oath to the flag and the constitution, Not to any particular President, If he tried to change that he'll be on a hiding to nothing, That'll probably be the same if he tried to have his opponents arrested, He maybe powerful, rich etc but so are his opponents, I think only a country wide state of emergency can he suspend all political institutions. Since Trump came to power I've learnt that each state as a whole has more power domestically than a President. The US is more divided than ever, The best thing imo is the GOP need to loosen their ties with Trump but that at the moment seems very unlikely.
So how do you envisage a future Trump presidency? You've said what you think he won't do, but what do you think he will do.

DB9

So how do you envisage a future Trump presidency? You've said what you think he won't do, but what do you think he will do.
It'll be like his 1st term, At the moment he's unofficially electioneering, Like Truss and Sunak over here, Saying I'm going to do this and that but in reality once in office you realise you can't, He's speaking to his base audience and they lap it up, Easy to do when you're actually not in office, When he ran last time he promised to open Mines, Steel works etc, That never happened and was forgotten, The only thing I'm not sure about is his foreign policy.

IndoMike

It'll be like his 1st term, At the moment he's unofficially electioneering, Like Truss and Sunak over here, Saying I'm going to do this and that but in reality once in office you realise you can't, He's speaking to his base audience and they lap it up, Easy to do when you're actually not in office, When he ran last time he promised to open Mines, Steel works etc, That never happened and was forgotten, The only thing I'm not sure about is his foreign policy.
So you're saying you don't think he'll react vindictively and he won't try to amend the Constitution.
On the international front, one theory is that Trump is so unpredictable and mafioso that China and Russia would be be very wary of Trump. Another theory is that he's in Russia's pocket. I can't see him defending Taiwan, but on the other hand his ego might not accept a big slap in the US's face by China if they did try to.invade.
Think he has very little respect for Western Europe

DB9

So you're saying you don't think he'll react vindictively and he won't try to amend the Constitution.
On the international front, one theory is that Trump is so unpredictable and mafioso that China and Russia would be be very wary of Trump. Another theory is that he's in Russia's pocket. I can't see him defending Taiwan, but on the other hand his ego might not accept a big slap in the US's face by China if they did try to.invade.
Think he has very little respect for Western Europe
He'll be vindictive because he's that type of person but he won't be able to amend the Constitution, He'd have to bring the GOP with him to do that and the Supreme Court, Which although has a Conservative leaning majority did not do as he asked when he lost the 2020 election because it would have been unconstitutional. He has always said he won't put US troops fighting foreign wars, Which he did keep to.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Must like last time, he'll do very little, or at least, nothing that can't be undone by an incoming Democrat president. He'll talk a lot, but that's it. His only real legacy so far is the Supreme Court, and it was just luck that he was able to appoint so many justices.

IndoMike

He'll be vindictive because he's that type of person but he won't be able to amend the Constitution, He'd have to bring the GOP with him to do that and the Supreme Court, Which although has a Conservative leaning majority did not do as he asked when he lost the 2020 election because it would have been unconstitutional. He has always said he won't put US troops fighting foreign wars, Which he did keep to.
Wars don't necessarily need troops

Phil Sayers

A few weeks ago there was some mention of Trump's meeting with Kim Jong Un being a positive thing. Just look at Kim's face - he could scarcely believe that the imbecile in the White House had given him this:

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Another indicator that the Trump-dominated Republican party is not America's cup of tea? A Democrat candidate, seen as very much the underdog, has won a special election in a bellwether district of New York. In a midterm year that should have been a sure thing for the Republicans.

It seems that whilst Trump candidates are cleaning up in the Republican primaries they're not doing so well in the race that matters. Arizona, Georgia and Pennsylvania senator candidates endorsed by Trump are struggling. Those are all states the Republicans need to win, and in ordinary times would be pretty confident about.

In fact, it looks like the Republicans have given up on winning the Senate, which should theoretically have been a breeze. The House is still very much up for grabs though, with the Republicans likely to make strong gains there and therefore pretty much guaranteeing 2 years of legislative inaction.

angelic upstart

Several states will secede, taking their wealth with them. The red states will be left with lots of corn, nuclear weapons, Trump voters, very unhappy people of colour and little else.
Do you think they'll do it through a series of referenda and state dependant call it Nyexit, msexit or Flexit?