• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Politics Thread USA Edition

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
Ever the comedian, Eric Trump has this week stated at a rally that "There’s no one who’s done more for Christianity than Donald Trump. No one."

I know he's not the sharpest tool in the box, but he's heard of Jesus right?
Humorous on the surface but with a very dark subtext.
Trump's recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel plays to the Evangelical Christian movement in the USA.
They see it as a prerequisite for the end times prophecy.
Thankfully there is now some division in the movement due to Trump's inability, due to his electoral defeat, to align with sermons delivered by some self appointed prophets .

arthur

Humorous on the surface but with a very dark subtext.
Trump's recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel plays to the Evangelical Christian movement in the USA.
They see it as a prerequisite for the end times prophecy.
Thankfully there is now some division in the movement due to Trump's inability, due to his electoral defeat, to align with sermons delivered by some self appointed prophets .
I did hear talk that Trump has done his job for the evangelicals with his Supreme Court appointments and they don't need to hold their moralistic noses and vote for him any more.

DB9

Apparently Florida Governer DeSantis "Dumped" a bus load of immigrants at the home of VP Harris, Not quite sure the story surrounding this but obviously the Southern border is going to be a mid-term battle between the Republicans and Democrats.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Apparently Florida Governer DeSantis "Dumped" a bus load of immigrants at the home of VP Harris, Not quite sure the story surrounding this but obviously the Southern border is going to be a mid-term battle between the Republicans and Democrats.

It's absolutely disgusting, but it will play well with the hard-core Republican voter base that DeSantis needs onside if he wants the presidential nomination. But like a lot of what he does, it's high-rish, high-gain, because it's the sort of thing that doesn't sit well with moderates and may cost him on the national stage. I'd say he's also risking the goodwill of the large Hispanic vote in Florida, but I'd assume he and his team have run the numbers and know better than I do how they'd react.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster

More on this: a Texas sheriff has opened a criminal investigation into this. Nothing will happen, but it's an interesting development nonetheless.

Phil Sayers

Trump's legal problems are mounting courtesy of the State of New York. I doubt they just make criminal referrals to the DoJ over stuff like this without quite a few meetings with DoJ officials first:

Phil Sayers

Good BBC article on the fraud case - "Art of the steal" brought a smile:

DB9

Trump's legal problems are mounting courtesy of the State of New York. I doubt they just make criminal referrals to the DoJ over stuff like this without quite a few meetings with DoJ officials first:

Of course half the population of the US will say this is all a witch hunt and Trump is totally innocent, It's the Dems etc.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes, it's been a bad week for Trump. The "special master" in the classified documents case has basically told his lawyers that unless they can provide any evidence that the documents were declassified, they weren't.

Meanwhile Biden's approval continues to rise. As high as 46% in some polls.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
If you ever wanted a demonstration of how much US politics is based on smoke and mirrors, here's Ted Cruz praising a bipartisan bill (and more importantly his own role in it) that will bring a lot of infrastructure funding into Texas.

He voted against it.