• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The very first vinyl record you bought.....

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
First single - Hot Love, T Rex
First Album - probably one of those cheap things from Woolworths
First tape cassette. Was never one for buying them. So looks like either The Vapours or The Lambrettas.

MikeGrecian

My First single-Keith Harris and Orville-I Wish I Could Fly:$:Si was only 8 btw:-#

A Slacker

The first singles ever bought (actually got my parents to buy them) in the same week - Gary Numan 'Cars' & Sex Pistols 'C'mon Everybody'.

First album (again bought by parents) was either Police 'Regatta du Blanc', or ELO ' Discovery'. Not sure which came first....thinking it was the Police (bit more street cred there).
Mr Jinx

We must be of similar age.

First single - Boomtown Rats - She's So Modern
First Album - The Police - Outlandos D'amour

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
First Album - The Police - Outlandos D'amour
That was the first album i got that was in coloured vinyl(blue obviously)...It was only the first 2,000 iirc & since the album eventually went double Platinum or something,is i imagine fairly rare..

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
All My Loving - The Beatles.

stumpynadge

First single was Paranoid by Black Sabbath from the Left Bank in Paris Street. When I got it home, I found out the labels had been put on the wrong sides.

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
"Star Trekkin'". by The Firm...
First album Was Raiders of the Pop Charts

Tada

I bought my first single, I think in 1960 -

Shakin' all Over - Johnny Kidd and the Pirates

Absolutely loved it and played it over and over again, those were the days! Still got the track but now on CD (and still play it).

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
I bought my first single, I think in 1960 -

Shakin' all Over - Johnny Kidd and the Pirates

Absolutely loved it and played it over and over again, those were the days! Still got the track but now on CD (and still play it).
I loved Johnny Kidd & the Pirates, who died in 1966 at age 30. I still play 'Shakin' all over' and 'Please dont touch' on Youtube. Excellent quality sound. Of all the acts that I saw at the long gone Civic Hall, like Gene Vincent, Emille Ford etc, I regretfully never got to see Johnny Kidd, who I know appeared there on numorous occasions.

As soon as I saw Johnny Kidd & the Pirates on Six Five Special (do you remember it?), I immediately realised that they were different and really broke the mould of British groups of the time. I have a number of their CD's and still play them regularly.
As you pointed out, he like many other pop stars of the era tragically died at a young age in a car crash. If I recall correctly I think he was returning from a performance in Preston in October 1966 when he lost control of the car.