• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

this Thursday's Football League emergency meeting

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Haven't seen this mentioned, but it could well have an effect on us.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/danroan/2010/04/football_league_set_for_crunch.html

Essentially it is about how the money the Premier League gives to the Football League is distributed, which is of course important to us. It seems that under new proposals Championship clubs will get £2.2 million per season, while League 1 will only get £325,000 and League 2 £250,000. Obviously this would make it far harder for a club like us to break into the Championship. Also the premier league parachute payment will increase from £22 million over 2 years to £48 million over 4 years.

But also interesting is the following:

In effect, because of the natural overlap between the two leagues, with clubs constantly passing between each, the Premier League wants the Football League to bring their regulations closer to their own. This standardisation includes a demand that the Football League promises to reveal the identity of all owners, a transparency that could affect a club like Leeds United, where the identity of the club's shareholders remains a mystery.
With some of our shareholder's identities being a mystery, could such a rule be dangeorus for us?

The article says a number of clubs are probably going to vote against the proposals, I wonder if we are one of them? The Championship clubs are obviously going to be for it, since they will be getting three times the money they are getting now. But I can't really see any of the League 1 and 2 clubs being happy with it.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
It seems that under new proposals Championship clubs will get £2.2 million per season, while League 1 will only get £325,000 and League 2 £250,000..
So Argyle will be losing out on close to £2 million after their relegation. Ouch.

The gap between the Championship money and the League 1 money is staggering (especially compared to the minimal difference between League 1 & 2). I suppose the justification is that the gap between the Premiership and Championship is even wider and needs to be remedied more urgently, but it doesn't feel very fair, does it.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
This is the one football playing field that is never level. The big money is always weighted towards the big(ger) clubs but it just presents an even bigger challenge and one I am sure we can rise to if everybody pulls together.

I hope the L1 and L2 clubs do oppose this fiercely as it is totally inequitable.

Poultice

Could be the precurser to a break away Prem 1 & 2, with no promotion and relegation from the League. They would probably only want the big boys from the 3rd Div, so that would be Argyle stuffed.

The proposals are a disgrace and trying to dress it up as the PL being more genreous towards the FL clubs is laughable. It is so clearly another measure to preserve their own interests and as always clubs such as ours will suffer.

If this is successfully opposed though, what would happen then?

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
my idea... throw it all together

50% prem, 30% Champ, 12% Lge 1, 7% Lge 2 and 1% between conference and conference south and north!

Poultice

my idea... throw it all together

50% prem, 30% Champ, 12% Lge 1, 7% Lge 2 and 1% between conference and conference south and north!
Well that aint gonna happen.

The Premiership generates the big bucks and they aint going on a philanthropic crusade any time soon.

What I would like to see is this "all for one boolocks" thrown out, when we finished 2nd last season we got 10 bags more than Grimsby who finished 128th or so in the same league. Instead of everyone getting the same why not make it worthwhile fighting for those extra 3 points from the last game, if the top side in the 4th div got 600k and the bottom 100k, meaning each place was worth 25ish, then there would be no meaningless end of season fixtures.

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
Best way to express your disgust - cancel Sky Sports.

malcolms

Best way to express your disgust - cancel Sky Sports.
Ain't happening Al...didn't they announce improved results this morning?

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
Give me a chance, I only started the Cancel Sky Sports campaign 24 minutes ago :)

Last edited: