• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK and European Politics 2024 Thread

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
TBF Al, That Garden Bridge scheme did cost £22m even though it was never built, A lot of money for these schemes that never happened were given to consultants etc. All in all he wasted nearly £1bn on his vanity projects according to reports.
I agree Bunter’s boosterism led to wasted money

arthur

Does it say what the others are ?

Clacton presumably on the list ?
The article doesn't list them, apart from saying that Farage will win Clacton with a thumping 31% of the vote! Work the rest out from.this map. Only one Tory seat west of Exeter and it isn't Tedburn...

1000014608.jpg

Radio Free Skaro

The Sunday Times seems to think that Exmouth and Exeter East will be one of seven seats won by Reform on July 4th
Find that very hard to believe...

tavyred

Sunak is losing votes to Reform. Normally, if you are losing votes to another party, you concentrate your fire on that party. Yet, instead, the Tories are concentrating all their fire on the Labour Party, despite all the evidence that the votes they lost to them they lost some time ago and won't get back.

So it makes no sense for Mordaunt to give Farage a free ride at the recent debate and instead hurl totally ineffective bricks at Angela Rayner. But then what has sense got to do with the Tory Party? Their relentless pushing of the Reform agenda, while not delivering on it (because its undeliverable, apart from anything else), is what they've been doing since 2019, and with ever greater intensity over recent months as the election approached, essentially endorsing Reform's political standpoint. And look what it's done to them - not for nothing are the Conservatives known as The Stupid Party.
It is indeed the height of stupidity to pretend you’re the party of low immigration and promise to ‘stop the boats’ when you’ve wilfully overseen a 4 million population increase in 14 short years and you refuse to sideline a foreign based court who you acknowledge and you want to make judgments that supersedes U.K. courts. When Cameron complains about Farage destroying the Tory party, he spectacularly misses the point.
This all falls into Labour’s lap soon of course, oh to be fly on the wall in the Treasury when the soon to be hapless RR asks how our long term economic growth is looking and gets told that unless she lets in a couple of million new Brits she’s screwed! 😎

grecIAN Harris

The article doesn't list them, apart from saying that Farage will win Clacton with a thumping 31% of the vote! Work the rest out from.this map. Only one Tory seat west of Exeter and it isn't Tedburn...

View attachment 15721
I'd be surprised if the South West is as red as that suggests.

DB9

I'd be surprised if the South West is as red as that suggests.
Normally when the Tories are disliked it is the Lib Democrats gain?

grecIAN Harris

Normally when the Tories are disliked it is the Lib Democrats gain?
My point exactly.......... Exeter and Plymouth go, or are, red and the rest of the region goes orange if the Tories are out of favour.

lamrobhero

My point exactly.......... Exeter and Plymouth go, or are, red and the rest of the region goes orange if the Tories are out of favour.
I agree it would be a major shift if in the "countryside areas" Labour were to become the main opposition. With tatical voting the perception of who is the main opposition is important.

Banksy

This chap
Looks a good chap unless you’re a dog….Git.

Mid Devon Grecian

Not necessarily the case, see Central Devon. Labour beat Libs in last three GEs and are predicted to run the Tories very close this time.
IMG_1120.jpeg