• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK and European Politics 2024 Thread

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
(y) Another good way of avoiding dialogue debate
I agree. As soon as "common sense" is introduced into an argument it's time to walk away. I agree with Albert

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.

arthur

Positivist empiricism says youre wrong. You *can* believe anything, but you shouldn't because some things are just plain wrong. The earth is demonstrably not flat, therefore you shouldn't believe that.
Just as some people "believe" man made climate change is a hoax. (Because it suits their purposes to do so)

arthur

When populists pick on populists.

I wonder which one is taking the side of 'the people' now, speaking for the silent majority which they both love to be loved by - it can't be both?

Glorious stuff.
Something Danny Finkelstein identified a while back as Populism's fundamental flaw - "I am the voice of The People" , "No, I'm the voice of The People". Alliances of convenience, such as the Brexit coalition, always unravel sooner rather than later.

tavyred

When populists pick on populists.

I wonder which one is taking the side of 'the people' now, speaking for the silent majority which they both love to be loved by - it can't be both?

Glorious stuff.
The fact is everyone and his dog has opined on Russian paranoia about its western border. Some of that opinion has bordered on the sympathetic to Russia it has to be said. All that changed quite rightly when Putin used weapons of mass destruction in the UK and hopped over the border into Crimea in 2014. Amazing to think now that the world was still quite happy to attend Putin’s World Cup in 2018. 🤷‍♂️

angelic upstart

The fact is everyone and his dog has opined on Russian paranoia about its western border. Some of that opinion has bordered on the sympathetic to Russia it has to be said. All that changed quite rightly when Putin used weapons of mass destruction in the UK and hopped over the border into Crimea in 2014. Amazing to think now that the world was quite happy to attend Putin’s World Cup in 2018. 🤷‍♂️
That's the thing, absolutely nothing changed until 2022. Something I've always had difficulty understanding.

DB9

The fact is everyone and his dog has opined on Russian paranoia about its western border. Some of that opinion has bordered on the sympathetic to Russia it has to be said. All that changed quite rightly when Putin used weapons of mass destruction in the UK and hopped over the border into Crimea in 2014. Amazing to think now that the world was still quite happy to attend Putin’s World Cup in 2018. 🤷‍♂️
See Crimea in 2014, Then see the appeasement after Hitler took the Sudatenland in 1938. As for the WC in 2018, Blatter et all were still trying to convince us that Sport and Politics are not intertwined which unfortunately they are. As a side note, Farage's comment have been used in pro Russian propaganda and media outlets in Russia, Also a Spokesman for the Russian Foreign Ministry has said that Farage is a "Ally of Russia" Words do have consequences.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Different point to the one I was making, but yeh, I agree with the above.

I'm just fascinated as to how these populist politicians convince people that they've speaking for 'the masses', when they're so transparently just snake oil salesmen.

5 minutes ago Johnson was the hero 'big character' leader, fighting the woke establishment and enhancing Britain's standing on the world stage. Now he's talking down the next big populist character. They're all full of shit, but populist supporters have extraordinarily short memories.

Last edited:

DB9

Did forget to mention, Also good few back handers were allegedly given from Russia and Qatar to get their WC's.

Mr Jinx

That's the thing, absolutely nothing changed until 2022. Something I've always had difficulty understanding.
Even then, the sanctions have all been a bit half arsed. They're doing stuff now that they should've done 2 years ago. For maximum effect you should drop absolutely everything at once. But it's been more a drip feed allowing them to adapt.

Mr Jinx

Did forget to mention, Also good few back handers were allegedly given from Russia and Qatar to get their WC's.
Yeah, but 'twas ever thus. Hardly a new thing at the time.