• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK and European Politics 2024 Thread

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
A valid point but I’m not sure the 2024 Labour policy offer will match the famous 1945 one.
Full manifestos not unleashed yet for we "unwashed" public to consider.
One can only wait (and hope).

Spoonz Red E

Away from the Election news, The tears of former PO Chief Exec Paula Vennells to me were more for the fact she's been found out rather than genuine remorse.
"Ex-chief executive tells inquiry into Horizon scandal she had been unaware people were being wrongly prosecuted".

Funny that because I pretty much knew for about 15 years due to reading the stories in Computer Weekly and Private Eye.
Not withstanding the fact that she still 'didn't know' apparently right up to the day before the ITV drama.

They take us for fools.

tavyred

I don't think it will particularly. Sunak isn't versed in the dark arts like Bozza.

You've got nice bloke vs dull bloke.

But nice bloke has to somehow defend eye watering levels of tax & immigration. He can't.
Rumour doing the rounds that the government have already been given the nod that the Rwanda flights will not happen and that Sunak couldn’t wait after a summer of maybe record channel crossings and have an autumn/winter GE.

Spoonz Red E

Rumour doing the rounds that the government have already been given the nod that the Rwanda flights will not happen and that Sunak couldn’t wait after a summer of maybe record channel crossings and have an autumn/winter GE.
Where does that move the needle on the 'Ballsy-Meter'? :cool:

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ballsy by Sunak, probably wise to weaponise the first Rwanda flights in the midst of an GE campaign and if Israel in the next 6 weeks are going at it big time in Rafah watch the cracks in Labour appear.
Will Farage now get off the fence?
I think it's more to do with minimising the number of voters who'd have moved off their current fix to higher rate mortgages tbh at election time, tbh.

Last edited:

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't think it will particularly. Sunak isn't versed in the dark arts like Bozza.

But nice bloke has to somehow defend eye watering levels of tax & immigration. He can't.
I think this is pretty much right. Although their blotted copy book amounts to much more than just tax and immigration. And different folk will have different views on the worst of the Tory's 'crimes'. For me it's austerity, increased inequality, Johnson's general taking the ****, rivers, Graylings privatisation of the parole system....need I go on?

tavyred

First campaign speech by Sunak, going in heavy on Starmer’s character. Obviously going to be reoccurring theme.

Spoonz Red E

I'm expecting it to get quite dirty myself.

The social media companies have done next to naff all to counter disinformation.
The atmosphere on Twitter has never been more binary or belligerent and the Party Political Culture Warriors will get stuck in.
Facebook will still offer its targeted and poorly scrutinised advertising routes and camouflaged Facebook groups.
Despite yesterday's breast-beating over the Blood Scandal, accountability is not highly prized.
Sloganeering has become facile and shallow rooted.
The BBC will probably treat it all as a simple Westminster soap opera.

The one plus for me is that papers like the Mail and Telegraph have jumped the shark lately.
Rupert Murdoch, as usual, will take a wind-check before deciding how it can be the 'Sun wot won it'.

Radio Free Skaro

Sorry I don't know which bloke is nice bloke and which bloke is dull bloke?

Radio Free Skaro

10 reasons why the Tories will be hammered at the polls
1)The legacy of Liz Truss
2) Covid parties/lockdown breaches, Dominic Cummings, Sunak's Eat Out To Help Out (Covid)
3) The economy
4) High Taxation
5) Sunak is perceived a weak leader and his and the Tories brand is toxic
6) The Labour party have been on a GE footing for over a year whereas many Tories seem to have been taken by surprise by today's announcement
7) Government sheer incompetence
8) Sunak's leadership speech - this was an absolute farce a comedy sketch , the worst start to GE campaign possibly ever! Even worse than Penny Mordant's leadership campaign and that's saying something!!!
9) The calling of the election does not give the Tories enough time to recover any ground , inflation is only slightly reduced and the expected interest rate fall won't happen.
10) The polls are worse for the Tories than in 1997 .