• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK and European Politics 2024 Thread

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Former England cricketer Monty Panesar has quit George Galloway's party - just one week after being unveiled as a candidate.
Mr Panesar was the highest-profile recruit among dozens the Workers Party of Britain unveiled last week.
He had said he wanted to "represent the working class people of this country" at Westminster.
But, writing on social media, he said he needs more time to "find my political home".

Alistair20000

Former England cricketer Monty Panesar has quit George Galloway's party - just one week after being unveiled as a candidate.
Mr Panesar was the highest-profile recruit among dozens the Workers Party of Britain unveiled last week.
He had said he wanted to "represent the working class people of this country" at Westminster.
But, writing on social media, he said he needs more time to "find my political home".
Thank goodness for that but let us see where he rocks up next.

Alistair20000

Yes, I'm being ridiculous, I know. Climate change is nothing to worry about and there's nothing much we can do about it anyway. Leave it to the big polluters to sort out..

Almost 80% of the respondents, all from the authoritative Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), foresee at least 2.5C of global heating, while almost half anticipate at least 3C (5.4F). Only 6% thought the internationally agreed 1.5C (2.7F) limit would be met.

Many of the scientists envisage a “semi-dystopian” future, with famines, conflicts and mass migration, driven by heatwaves, wildfires, floods and storms of an intensity and frequency far beyond those that have already struck.

Numerous experts said they had been left feeling hopeless, infuriated and scared by the failure of governments to act despite the clear scientific evidence provided.

“I think we are headed for major societal disruption within the next five years,” said Gretta Pecl, at the University of Tasmania. “[Authorities] will be overwhelmed by extreme event after extreme event, food production will be disrupted. I could not feel greater despair over the future.”

Bloody experts - who needs them? They're just being alarmist in a pathetic attempt to ensure governments keep funding them. And it's from the Guardian, so can be safely ignored. Carry on, nothing to see here

Hello ! Hello !

Calm down dear :)

It is possible to hold the view that the biggest threat to the World and Mankind is represented by weapons of mass destruction while still accepting that there are issues with climate change.

Mr Jinx

The maid Elphicke’s defection to Labour is testament to the mind numbing centrism of both of the two main parties.
Political inertia rules.
Exactly.

Tory. Labour. Two cheeks of the same arse. As if further evidence was required. Although that won't stop BigBanker, Art et al frothing at the gills demanding facts. Lolz.

The only ones that benefit by Elphick's move are Reform. I don't know which side is more peeved. Plenty of Labour folk are up in arms about this particular one.

Mr Jinx

Thank goodness for that but let us see where he rocks up next.
Monty never was the sharpest tool in the shed.

It took him a bit of time to realise Galloway was actually backing Muslims, not Sikhs or Hindus. Doh.

DB9

The only ones that benefit by Elphick's move are Reform. I don't know which side is more peeved. Plenty of Labour folk are up in arms about this particular one.
Since she was standing down, Surely it's what the Tory candidate has to offer and is this a seat that Labour have targeted to see if Reform have any chance to make an impact/win?

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Exactly.

Tory. Labour. Two cheeks of the same arse. As if further evidence was required. Although that won't stop BigBanker, Art et al frothing at the gills demanding facts. Lolz.
I understand that my refusal to see you post lies without pulling you up on it must be annoying for you, but you'll just have to deal with it 🤷‍♂️

Fortunately your must notable recent fabrication wasn't on the Politics Today thread, so still remains on Exeweb in all its fantastical glory 😎

Lord knows why you've conflated me calling out your codswallop with the relative position of Labour & Tories - very odd. Must be playing on your mind 🤔

Oldsmobile-88

Tweet of the day 🤣🤣🤣

53B5D969-A635-4981-BE0C-157074D13640.jpeg

tavyred

Exactly.

Who’s next I wonder?
Nokes, Elwood? 🤷‍♂️

arthur

Could our Friends on the Right explain why N Elphicke chose Labour rather than Reform to defect to? I hate to bring facts into the matter, but one thing you can say about Natalie is that she is not a centrist, despite what The Dangerous Brothers might tell us.