• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK and European Politics 2024 Thread

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
FAO @arthur

What do you think about Phillip Inman’s article on page 59 of The Observer today ?
The online edition does not have traditional page numbers so I have to ask ...
Is that the one urging the abolition of absurd tax breaks to streamline the system?
If so I wholeheartedly agree.

Alistair20000

The online edition does not have traditional page numbers so I have to ask ...
Is that the one urging the abolition of absurd tax breaks to streamline the system?
If so I wholeheartedly agree.
No that’s not what I read. The article I read argues for caution and not grand plans

tavyred

It’s not a disaster, more of a slow strangulation

Being a remainer I’ll never forget the amount of goading I received from family in the aftermath of the referendum. It’s caused a permanent split. Whenever I’m forced to meet them now, they say nothing at all about it…….silence

That’s success is it?
I’ll make no comment on the family bit, sounds awful.
I kind of half agreeing with you, it’s not been a disaster and if a slow strangulation is taking place (I don’t think it is) then it’s definitely too early to say IMO.
The disaster narrative around Brexit is hopelessly overstated and speaks to more to the bitterness of the remainer set rather than reality. If it were a reality politicians would be seeking to make political capital out of it rather than it being the subject no one wants to speak about in this GE campaign.

Grecian2K

No that’s not what I read. The article I read argues for caution and not grand plans
Ah, "yours" was buried deep in the "Business Section" - us poor paups tend to read that bit last. :p
Both were in today's on-line subscribed Observer.
To an extent I agree with the "caution" argument although I don't see a problem in borrowing for SOUND investments. Isn't that the cornerstone of most modern capitalist businesses (expect for the the spiv-speculators (and water companies!!! :mad:) that leverage their acquisitions to the hilt, not to "invest" but merely pay themselves massive dividends.

Incidentally, is Mr Inman a bit "economically bipolar". Of the two I far prefer Nils Pratley in the Guardian.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
I’ll make no comment on the family bit, sounds awful.
I kind of half agreeing with you, it’s not been a disaster and if a slow strangulation is taking place (I don’t think it is) then it’s definitely too early to say IMO.
The disaster narrative around Brexit is hopelessly overstated and speaks to more to the bitterness of the remainer set rather than reality. If it were a reality politicians would be seeking to make political capital out of it rather than it being the subject no one wants to speak about in this GE campaign.
Couldn’t disagree more. Despite the negatives of Brexit, an even bigger negative would be the continuation of the splits and divides that MDG was talking about.
The country is tired of it, and that’s its only success. There won’t be another referendum as we saw it, it’ll be gradual alignment, because that’s the most obvious, and sensible, way to re-engage on the subject.

Spoonz Red E

Phil Sayers

If it were a reality politicians would be seeking to make political capital out of it rather than it being the subject no one wants to speak about in this GE campaign.
Do you think this may be due to politicians exercising a rare bit of wise psychology and correctly concluding that a lot of Leave voters may have privately concluded they made a mistake but are not (yet) willing to publicly acknowledge that and don't wish to be reminded of their mistake in the election campaign? Human pride being what it is, many people prefer to double down on a mistake if the only options are to do that or to admit to having made one?

elginCity

Whether Brexit is best described as ‘disastrous’ or merely ‘negative’, nobody, but nobody, is claiming it’s been a success or even a positive. No one.

The country IS in tatters - a fair description imo. Not totally attributable to Brexit, that’s true, but there’s plenty that is.

tavyred

Couldn’t disagree more. Despite the negatives of Brexit, an even bigger negative would be the continuation of the splits and divides that MDG was talking about.
The country is tired of it, and that’s its only success. There won’t be another referendum as we saw it, it’ll be gradual alignment, because that’s the most obvious, and sensible, way to re-engage on the subject.
……but Brexit is a disaster Spanks! 🤷‍♂️
The people must be allowed the option to reverse this disaster at the earliest opportunity!

tavyred

Whether Brexit is best described as ‘disastrous’ or merely ‘negative’, nobody, but nobody, is claiming it’s been a success or even a positive. No one.

The country IS in tatters - a fair description imo. Not totally attributable to Brexit, that’s true, but there’s plenty that is.
Suggest you look up the dictionary definition of ‘tatters’ and come back with a more suitable less hyperbolic word instead Elgy.