• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

Legohead

Banned
If you remember, Right at the start of this we were told that a the majority who have this virus would either have no symptoms or it will feel like a bad cold and yes those who have had it and felt no ill effects will go around doing their day to day stuff and "Recover" without realising they've had the bloody thing.
Yes but the whole media have always concentrated heavily on deaths and fear and it's never been a balanced scenario from day one. They'll put up a story of some fit, 40 year old bloke who was in a coma for weeks and make a big deal out of it but forget to mention that thousands of fit 40 year old blokes also probably got the virus with no complications.

It's like cancer. When a young 20 year old gymnast gets bowel cancer or something it's in the news but it's rare. The majority of 20 year olds will not get cancer yet this obsession with isolating bad stories make you think it's more common.

It's the media. They have contributed to the economy taking a hit as much as the virus and the Government because they have scared people half to death and not reported in context.

Last edited:

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yes but the whole media have always concentrated heavily on deaths and fear and it's never been a balanced scenario from day one. They'll put up a story of some fit, 40 year old bloke who was in a coma for weeks and make a big deal out of it but forget to mention that thousands of fit 40 year old blokes also probably got the virus with no complications.
That is what the media does, Sensationalise it so as to scare to death those that read/listen to them. On these boards and on this thread a lot of us said this and not to read too much information because you'll only get more and more depressed. Yes this bloody virus is here, Yes a lot of people have died, Yes the majority of us will feel no ill effects and will carry on with our lives, Yes its up to us to make decisions on our own and families safety ie dont go to crowded pub/beaches/shops if you don't feel safe, You don't need anyone else to say that.

Mr Jinx

It's the media. They have contributed to the economy taking a hit as much as the virus and the Government because they have scared people half to death and not reported in context.
Yes, but no-one is holding a gun to anyone's head to watch it.

I, for example, no longer watch my favourite channel, Sky News. Can't be done with it all. It'll be some time again until I do.

Ultimately, we, the people, are to blame.

IndoMike

TODAY'S HOT NEWS FROM THE POLITBURO

"Downing Street will launch an information campaign to tell the public in England that face coverings should cover both the nose and the mouth if they are to help prevent the spread of Covid-19

Wish they'd told me before :. I've been wearing the face mask around .me arse
for the last 3 months 🙄

Legohead

Banned
Yes, but no-one is holding a gun to anyone's head to watch it.

I, for example, no longer watch my favourite channel, Sky News. Can't be done with it all. It'll be some time again until I do.

Ultimately, we, the people, are to blame.
I agree to some extent. I don't watch the news either but I visit the websites like SKY and BBC just to get updates as to what is happening and there has been no balance throughout the pandemic. All the media do is use negativity and sensationalist bias to keep people hooked. After all, making a news story that most people have recovered well from the virus isn't likely to interest people despite bizarrely this being what we want to hear.

It's like i said to my partner when the Black Lives Matter protests began. Whilst i'm not belittling those protests, it seemed that whatever news i DID watch was all about the protests, as if Covid had disappeared. It was because deaths were coming down and the media had nothing more bad to report so they switched their negativity and focus onto the protests for weeks stoking up and fuelling feeling.

They are a disgrace tbh.

Legohead

Banned

"Downing Street will launch an information campaign to tell the public in England that face coverings should cover both the nose and the mouth if they are to help prevent the spread of Covid-19

for the last 3 months 🙄
Does anyone seriously NOT know that a mask should cover the nose as well as the mouth? I think if people don't have the common sense to know by now then it's more lunacy from the Government to not only be wasting their time on imbeciles but money also that could be better spent on disabled / vulnerable people etc. So many good causes than telling thick people about something they should know already unless they've been on Jupiter for the last 5 months.

iscalad

for the last 3 months 🙄
Butt surely that's the way to wear it in Indonesia.

IndoMike

Love the way Johnson desperately looks around for support from the stragglers at PMQ . It's a real security blanket for him. Looks like Starmer is subtly digging away whilst holding most of his fire

DB9

I agree to some extent. I don't watch the news either but I visit the websites like SKY and BBC just to get updates as to what is happening and there has been no balance throughout the pandemic. All the media do is use negativity and sensationalist bias to keep people hooked. After all, making a news story that most people have recovered well from the virus isn't likely to interest people despite bizarrely this being what we want to hear.

It's like i said to my partner when the Black Lives Matter protests began. Whilst i'm not belittling those protests, it seemed that whatever news i DID watch was all about the protests, as if Covid had disappeared. It was because deaths were coming down and the media had nothing more bad to report so they switched their negativity and focus onto the protests for weeks stoking up and fuelling feeling.

They are a disgrace tbh.
That is the idea of a News Station Lego, Once a story that has been headlines for a while something else will happen to takeover the headlines, If NK invaded SK that would be the headline, That's how it works, Jeez, We had over 3 years of non-stop Brexit stories and when this virus happened people said at least it will take Brexit off the front pages!

Legohead

Banned
As the virus also gets in through the eyes then masks perhaps are a way of stopping the spread of the virus but won't necessarily stop you from getting it, especially if you aren't wearing a visor either.