• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Webby - Cards on the table.

argylepaul

Chelsea have never sung One Man Went to Mow, they sing "Ten Men Went To Mow".

The colour of shirts worn is vital. If you cant get the colour right it either means you cannot remember or you are lying. If you cannot remember, best not to comment, if you are lying (which I do not think you are) best not to comment.

Anyway, good luck with you match against the big guns Saturday.
I am lying.
It was one man went to mow, because there was only one of them in there, and he was from Honicknowle (area in Plymouth for the geographically challenged).

grecian55

What is it with these Exeter fans being at that game; that is 3 of you, who just happened to be there. Were you like young boys experimenting with young girls, before realising you liked your own?
I was at both Chelsea games, so I don't need anyone - older, fatter or otherwise to tell me the facts. I was also in the Devonport End on the Mayflower side with some mates for the game when Chelsea tried to get in, and it was heaving. 21,000 crowd.
This is not bravado, and defending the honour of Argyle hoolies, but from what I saw, there was not suddenly a mass influx of cheeky c*ckneys in that end. You are saying it happened 3 times during the game! 3 times they tried probably, but I disagree with you that they just happened to get in and started to sing 'One man went to mow' .
All you are doing is undermining Argyle in anyway you can; even if it means having a go at Argyle fans' inability to hold their home end. I am not a closet hooly or a former one, but I bet some of you can't bear the idea that Argyle fans could be matching the likes of Chelsea hooligans. This is a very sad conversation taking place here, so let's just agree to disagree.
Kit wise, Chelsea wore red shirts, white shorts and green socks (with red and white tops) for the one of those games. You are probably right about the yellow shirts and green shorts for the other. But, it's not really that vital.
If we are being pedantic; the orange shirts from the 1980s that you are on about, is the hideous orange and grey swirling curtain thing with Coors on it from 1994.
I am being Pedantic ? really ,i may be older than you but at 12.5 stone i am probably not fatter ,but i do know what my eyes saw ? i saw plymouth fans on the pitch twice before the game and on the 3 rd occasion the 40 or so you got in the end were giving a rather good boot up the arse on their way out ,for your information to ,i was with 6 of my mates who are ALL argyle fans ,one of whom still goes now and is TCE still, another friend of mine was stabbed in the shoulder with a fork in Central park on the way back to the station ,and by the way we were also stood on the mayflower side of the devonport end too and were just about to leave the ground as the last gang of chelsea came in through the gates so decided to stay as it looked a bit dodgy in the carpark area ,
Please do not get so wound up so easily about someones else view of something that I do not deny you saw ? ,
After all we all know someone who has caught a 6" minnow which has miraculously turned into a 12llb PIKE once the beer has started flowing ?
Chill Paul ?

argylepaul

I am being Pedantic ? really ,i may be older than you but at 12.5 stone i am probably not fatter ,but i do know what my eyes saw ? i saw plymouth fans on the pitch twice before the game and on the 3 rd occasion the 40 or so you got in the end were giving a rather good boot up the arse on their way out ,for your information to ,i was with 6 of my mates who are ALL argyle fans ,one of whom still goes now and is TCE still, another friend of mine was stabbed in the shoulder with a fork in Central park on the way back to the station ,and by the way we were also stood on the mayflower side of the devonport end too and were just about to leave the ground as the last gang of chelsea came in through the gates so decided to stay as it looked a bit dodgy in the carpark area ,
Please do not get so wound up so easily about someones else view of something that I do not deny you saw ? ,
After all we all know someone who has caught a 6" minnow which has miraculously turned into a 12llb PIKE once the beer has started flowing ?
Chill Paul ?
Wow. You know somebody in the TCE? I had better be careful. You, Grecian 55 year old are paranoid. I wasn't directing age or weight issues at you. The weight thing was a Porkus thing, as his name is mentioned on this thread (as it is everywhere).
I am not getting wound up by what is a very long time ago; I just wanted to set the record straight. To be honest, on that day in March 1976, I was at my first game (without my dad), and with a friend of my age. We were in the D'End before the game, heard a loud bang, and some women screaming, and loads of Argyle rushed back towards us (yes they were running away). I never saw any agro in the ground, but that's not to say, it didn't happen, or that Chelsea didn't instigate it. I don't really care.
What I will say, is that as a 11 year old, I was scared, and just stood at the back with my mate, his older, bigger brother and his mates: none of whom were yobs. With the size of the crowd, and my size, it's not surprising I might not have noticed any agro in the D'End. Unlike outside in Central Park.
I have to say, I look back on that day with a little bit of old school nostalgia.
I don't like hooliganism, and was never caught up in it, but it had a kind of place back then at Home Park and other grounds, and it was all part of the match day.
Anyway. I am not after keyboard handbags with you, because it is pedantic; we just had crossed wires.
Shall we move on?

Last edited:

KentGull

David (Dave) Webb, who funnily enough was player manager at the Plainmoor outfit in 1984.
There was definitely nothing funny about having Webb at the helm....

Played 70.... won 19.... says it all

argylepaul

Chill Paul ?
Your mate who got stabbed in the shoulder with a fork. It wasn't Uri Geller by any chance - attending his final Argyle match before joining up for his Israeli National Service? And Grecian 55, is your TCE mate on active service this Saturday? Good luck laddy! You make us so proud at Argyle. There could still be some cash poor 'staycation' stragglers on the seafront that you can terrorise on Saturday. Families are better.

Last edited:

grecian55

Your mate who got stabbed in the shoulder with a fork. It wasn't Uri Geller by any chance - attending his final Argyle match before joining up for his Israeli National Service? And Grecian 55, is your TCE mate on active service this Saturday? Good luck laddy! You make us so proud at Argyle. There could still be some cash poor 'staycation' stragglers on the seafront that you can terrorise on Saturday. Families are better.[/QUOTE

My mate who is tce is same age as me and that is pretty sad really ? the best bit is that his late father was head of police in plymouth for many years and i think its his way of rebelling ? ,but he is definately a" you lot do the fighting and i will tell you all about later after watching from a distance " so will probably be walking the walk saturday ,i do not chat plymouth with him as his continual " we run exeter anyday" talk does not appeal to me at all nor does his where do the sly crew drink banter ,
i am not in the slightest paranoid as i am far too laid back to worry about comments made on a banter board ,unlike a lot on here ,
Lifes too short ,we moved on ?
Only thing i shall be terrorising saturday is my settee ,bad leg dictates that.

Jersey Tone

What is it with these Exeter fans being at that game; that is 3 of you, who just happened to be there.
Chelsea was my boyhood team, (proof that I'm no glory hunter, lol!!) and Plymouth happened to be one of the few local games. My old man felt that Plymouth was much safer to visit than Bristol, ;)!!

Head, head, headhunters, :mad:!!!

LammieLammieLammie

Very well known Exeweb poster
^^^^

What he said. I think Dad took me to the Devonport End because it was the least expensive to get into. I remember neing stood between his arms as he held onto the railings, while Argyle fans were telling him to get over the railings and onto the pitch.. but he wouldn't. :)

grecian55

Followed Chelsea for years ,knew a lot of lads from Exmouth and Exeter too ( Spike ?),had some great days out ,stopped going when the glory hunting money boys jumped on the bandwagon .

jmgull

There was definitely nothing funny about having Webb at the helm....

Played 70.... won 19.... says it all

wow....did we really win 19?