• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Welcome Gary Caldwell - new manager

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
The secrets out courtesy of MJ in his E&E column https://www.devonlive.com/sport/sport-opinion/excited-future-under-gary-caldwell-7777375

"In the meantime, Gary has a slightly different philosophy to Matty Taylor, and Tis before him, and is keen to tweak the way we play. He wants to see us play a little more football and enjoy more control of the ball as we work our way up the pitch. At the same time, he wants to see the forwards make more movement, and find more space, so we’re less dependent of 50:50s and knockdowns to create chances."

Memphis09

The secrets out courtesy of MJ in his E&E column https://www.devonlive.com/sport/sport-opinion/excited-future-under-gary-caldwell-7777375

"In the meantime, Gary has a slightly different philosophy to Matty Taylor, and Tis before him, and is keen to tweak the way we play. He wants to see us play a little more football and enjoy more control of the ball as we work our way up the pitch. At the same time, he wants to see the forwards make more movement, and find more space, so we’re less dependent of 50:50s and knockdowns to create chances."
Thinks he should start
He may well do on Saturday
Let’s hope he improves as he has been poor at best this season

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster

I lead to believe MJ was glad to see Taylor leave in the end, however I can't see him getting any more game time under GC as there are better players than him in his position - simple as.

tom_ecfc

I lead to believe MJ was glad to see Taylor leave in the end, however I can't see him getting any more game time under GC as there are better players than him in his position - simple as.
Is this a call of ‘come and get me’ to other clubs?

robchave

Always felt that, under MT, we gave away possession too often, too early, by playing the hopeful forward ball rather than the simpler midfield pass. We always looked at our best when playing the intricate passes and playing past teams. Perhaps GC wants to see more of this? However, that would mean having to up our passing accuracy. Perhaps GC feels that our players are better than they think themselves to be? Because it is certainly safer to lose the ball upfield after a hopeful punt, than in midfield from a misplaced pass. This would tie in with the request for more movement form the forwards, who need to be 'open' if we're going to play a more passing game.
It's possible that MJ also thinks that such a change would be more suited to his game. But it's always a difficult one; how to get more passing ability into the midfield, without losing strength and defensive ability.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Is this a call of ‘come and get me’ to other clubs?
Not sure about that; he begins his column:
Disappointing as it was to leave Plymouth empty handed on Monday night, I’m excited for the future under new manager Gary Caldwell.

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don't think Matty Jay has been poor at all. I do think he hasn't shown his best for a while but form often fluctuates. I wonder how much being a new dad has effected his energies. New babies are notorious for causing a lack of sleep but also there can be a new take on life with its extra responsibilities that focus energies again. I don't read any hidden messages in his article either. I think it's always possible to see controversy in an article if that's what you want to see.

geoffwp

What led you to believe that DR? Its not something I have ever heard or read.

Grecian Max

MJ has plainly not put in many good performances since Covid put him out. Not sure how much it changed things for him but he's a shadow of the player that looked like he was destined to a move to League 1 a couple of years ago. I had reservations at the time that he had the physicality for the Championship (there was a lot of talking him up on here) and I stick by that, but sadly I think League 1 may be a step too far also.

When it works for him he's a special, unique player - would love to see him find a spot in a Caldwell team but from what I've seen of those 2 games so far and the tactical approach I'm really not confident he will find his way back into the starting line up in the league. Seems to me that GC wants energy and strength in the middle and then use 2 quick runners - MJ doesn't have any of the attributes. Was shown up for pacer by an Argyle defender on Tuesday.

Good luck to him, but I reckon if someone like Wrexham came calling he should take it, he'd rip up the Conference and find confidence again.

JCWhoosh

Question is, would we be happy to have Mat Jay in the number 10 role if Brown were to go in January. Use that money to strengthen the defence. We could also push Kite, Dieng or Collins there. Appreciate that on his day Brown is unplayable but need back up defenders imo