• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Welcome Gary Caldwell - new manager

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
We’re 13th. When all the games in hand are played out we could be 17th or 18th. In terms of budget and attendances we’re exactly where we should be (ie - we are not overachieving).
When all the games are done is the best time to start having an "Autopsy" on the season, It's all ifs and but, Could of, Should of and still half a season to play. January for me will be interesting in that we'll hopefully see how GC wheels and deals for the 1st time for us, I'm hoping he has a few contacts and able to bring in players to compliment/improve the team if we end up losing players.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
When all the games are done is the best time to start having an "Autopsy" on the season, It's all ifs and but, Could of, Should of and still half a season to play. January for me will be interesting in that we'll hopefully see how GC wheels and deals for the 1st time for us, I'm hoping he has a few contacts and able to bring in players to compliment/improve the team if we end up losing players.
Agreed, if we finish anywhere above 15th we will have over-achieved. In fact, for all the talk of all the bigger clubs in League One, we are quite lucky that this is a season when there are also a lot of smaller clubs as well, many of whom are struggling. Next season could look quite different if, for example, Morecambe, Burton, Forest Green and Cambridge are all relegated and replaced by clubs like Orient, Mansfield, Bradford or Swindon - I know we've outperformed them in the past but they would still expect to at least match our budget.

denzel

I wont gain many freinds for saying this but they were being offered at too cheap a price, I'm an old fart agreed but £10.60 for league 1 football? Ridiculous. Said at the time that I normally pay on the gate if I had this season I'd have given City about £150 more over the course of the season, many would have given a lot more. Multiply that over 3500 or how many season tickets we sold and it's a substantial sum.

The other problem has been that with STs so cheap people dont mind missing the odd game whilst still remaining quids in, problem is that games are being called sell outs when it's clear they are not and people that want to pay real money are being turned away.

Like I said I don't expect any plaudits for pointing out this and I expect the "money at a cash starved time of the year" argument.
I don't understand this. I paid £13.60 per game for my early bird season ticket on the Bank, where did this figure of £10.60 come from??

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't understand this. I paid £13.60 per game for my early bird season ticket on the Bank, where did this figure of £10.60 come from??
Senior on the Bank.

scottus86

After a bit of time to think, I feel like it's important to recognise the difficult run of games since GC has come in and I feel like to really judge him, we have to see out the season and how he does with our run of easier games before April but he really does need to get some points on the board over the coming months because our run in at the end of the season is am absolute nightmare.

Thames Valley Red

As a club we have to set our standards of expectations higher. Our average will increase after Pompey by a few more. We have set the bar too low strategically for years.

denzel

Senior on the Bank.
Fair enough, I didn't think Sturtz was old enough.
I wouldn't condone rinsing pensioners though*, so I don't think the club should put up the prices there

*especially as I'm not that far off, myself

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
Wrong thread...

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Gary would have been pleased with a clean sheet as well as the performances of Jamal and the back three all played well

The deluder

I think we need to accept that we are in a relegation fight until the end of the season. 18th would be a good result for us. With a difficult summer of recruitment ahead.