• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What tipple are you drinking tonight thread

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
I preface this by saying that I know virtually nothing about wine.
But a few years ago my wife and I spent some time in San Francisco and Hawaii.
Whilst in the former we took a one day, organized trip to visit three wineries or vineyards (not sure which) in the Napa Valley/Sonoma area.
From memory they were called Cline, Madonna and Jacuzzi.
It’s the latter one which sticks in my mind the most as they explained to us there that apparently they are the same family who developed the bath of the same name!
I’ve read about it since in several places so believe it to be true.
They made a very nice Primitivo, which made me think of this story when I read Trapdoor’s post above.
After we got home the only place we could find it was an online company called HTF (Hard to Find) Wines.
So we bought a few bottles and whilst drinking them pretended to be back in California, which isn’t that difficult in Bridgwater if you consume enough of it and take your specs off.
I had my most expensive pint of IPA ever in a bar overlooking the bay along Embercadero SF a few years back. Set me back 10 bucks. Nice view though. I think thats what I was paying for !

The flip side, I’ve had a drink in a pub along Taunton Rd, Bridgwater 😁

Bridgy 81

I had my most expensive pint of IPA ever in a bar overlooking the bay along Embercadero SF a few years back. Set me back 10 bucks. Nice view though. I think thats what I was paying for !

The flip side, I’ve had a drink in a pub along Taunton Rd, Bridgwater 😁
Nice.
When we were there we hired bikes on The Embarcadero on a lovely sunny day and cycled along the waterfront towards The Golden Gate Bridge.
But in typical San Francisco fashion the weather suddenly changed and a mist came down.
When we were peddling over it we could see so little it might have been the Severn Bridge for all we knew.
But then after we’d pushed on the few miles into Sausalito it was back to clear blue sky again!
We came back by ferry.
I skilfully planned that trip for time of year when the NFL and MLB seasons overlap.
So in the same week we saw both the San Francisco 49ers and San Francisco Giants play home league games.
And if the Bridgwater pub you’re talking about was The Hope Inn that was a nice one.
It was only 5 minutes from where we live and we used to go in there occasionally with our dog.
It must have been in the days when smoking was allowed as the landlady would always fill one of those big old ashtrays with water and put it under the table for Daisy, that was the dog’s name 😊.
Guess what, it’s a big block of flats now.

Trapdoor

A very nice Strine Shiraz lifted from in yer face brashness by a 5% addition of Viognier
A bit of Viognier always really improves Barossa shiraz. 5% is quite a lot actually, even just 2% can lend some Cote Rotie style elegance to it. My favourite Aussie area.

Oldsmobile-88

Nice.
When we were there we hired bikes on The Embarcadero on a lovely sunny day and cycled along the waterfront towards The Golden Gate Bridge.
But in typical San Francisco fashion the weather suddenly changed and a mist came down.
When we were peddling over it we could see so little it might have been the Severn Bridge for all we knew.
But then after we’d pushed on the few miles into Sausalito it was back to clear blue sky again!
We came back by ferry.
I skilfully planned that trip for time of year when the NFL and MLB seasons overlap.
So in the same week we saw both the San Francisco 49ers and San Francisco Giants play home league games.
And if the Bridgwater pub you’re talking about was The Hope Inn that was a nice one.
It was only 5 minutes from where we live and we used to go in there occasionally with our dog.
It must have been in the days when smoking was allowed as the landlady would always fill one of those big old ashtrays with water and put it under the table for Daisy, that was the dog’s name 😊.
Guess what, it’s a big block of flats now.
That’s a fantastic bike ride Bridgy, I’ve done that one myself. There was quite a cross wind whilst cycling across the Golden Gate.

Can’t recall the name of the Pub in Bridgwater it may have been the one you mentioned.

Avening Posse

Pino Grigio tonight

Alistair20000

After the bottle of Chinon with the chicken stew a slug of Woodford Reserve.

Trapdoor

2016 Chateau Meyney, St Estephe.
People were suggesting this is a bit too young still, but I think it's good to go. It's got another decade in it for sure but it's open for business already. Chocolate, mice pie, not a whole lot of primary fruit left (quince?). Tannins are very archetypal of St Estephe, very fuzzy, coarse grained and mouth coating - a distinctive trait of this terroir. Blind I would struggle to tell this apart from Chateau Montrose in a lesser year, less intensity but more friendly on both wallet and palate.
At 30 quid a bottle this was not a "cheap" wine, but it's 5 times cheaper than Montrose so I'm glad I bought a few cases to experience its evolution over the coming years.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Champers - because GC is out the door !
HIC

Alistair20000

2016 Chateau Meyney, St Estephe.
People were suggesting this is a bit too young still, but I think it's good to go. It's got another decade in it for sure but it's open for business already. Chocolate, mice pie, not a whole lot of primary fruit left (quince?). Tannins are very archetypal of St Estephe, very fuzzy, coarse grained and mouth coating - a distinctive trait of this terroir. Blind I would struggle to tell this apart from Chateau Montrose in a lesser year, less intensity but more friendly on both wallet and palate.
At 30 quid a bottle this was not a "cheap" wine, but it's 5 times cheaper than Montrose so I'm glad I bought a few cases to experience its evolution over the coming years.
Sounds a tad young to me. Should be drinking well another dozen years as you say (y)

Mice pie sounds a bit dodgy mind :ROFLMAO:

Trapdoor

Sounds a tad young to me. Should be drinking well another dozen years as you say (y)

Mice pie sounds a bit dodgy mind :ROFLMAO:
lol... "mince" :sneaky: