• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What's our best starting 11 now

Bridgy 81

Choosing a first eleven now is ruddy difficult.
I almost preferred it when we had less options!

Squad coming together, it’s hard to pick a starting 11 without leaving players out, hopefully we extend Mitchell , Cox and Diabate next , I hope Harris is back for this weekend, class player

yticretexe

The squad feels like a lot of good parts now I just don’t know how they all fit together. I don’t think we have natural wing backs to play 5 at the back anymore without some weird inverted Jules BS.

Then playing 2 10s with Harris, Aitchison or Cole all central players rather than wingers means we’re relying on Purrington or Ilmari to give us width and run at players if we’re playing 5 at the back. Or drag our creative 10s away from the edge of the box.

4 feels a better fit with Sweens for @iscalad )/ Ilmari at RB (Sweens might have to shed a few pounds to do an actual job there powering forward on the overlap though) and Purrington at LB being his natural position.

Then play actual wingers and a team full of players in their preferred position.

In the 4 MK Dons games I’ve watched I haven’t seen Eisa as a hold up player so we’ll need to use width to get forward in my opinion, stretch teams and play balls he can run onto in behind. Can he play as a lone striker? I hope so.

Last edited:

Red & White

Very difficult to list a strong 11 as I am not even sure which formation you could play without leaving a good option out of the starting line up, I've gone for the following in a 3-2-4-1.

Sinisalo
Jules
Diabate
Sweeny
Cole
Woods
Harper
Harris
Aitchison
Rankine
Eisa

Subs:
MacDonald
Hartridge
Purrington
Kite
Alli
Niskanen
Cox

yticretexe

Very difficult to list a strong 11 as I am not even sure which formation you could play without leaving a good option out of the starting line up, I've gone for the following in a 3-2-4-1.

Sinisalo
Jules
Diabate
Sweeny
Cole
Woods
Harper
Harris
Aitchison
Rankine
Eisa

Subs:
MacDonald
Hartridge
Purrington
Kite
Alli
Niskanen
Cox
Tom Carroll not even lacing up his boots? Jeez.

Red & White

Tom Carroll not even lacing up his boots? Jeez.
If we are playing fast counter attacking football Carroll would not fit, he is too pedestrian and always looking for the sideways/backwards pass.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
If we are playing fast counter attacking football Carroll would not fit, he is too pedestrian and always looking for the sideways/backwards pass.
He seemed to contribute just fine last week.I think he complements the more attack-minder Reece Cole really well.

Larry Wilkie

He seemed to contribute just fine last week.I think he complements the more attack-minder Reece Cole really well.
And with more attacking options ahead of him you will see more killer passes I’m sure.
Seemed to be looking forward before but due to options being limited he would opt for ball retention. Just my take on it.

Mid Devon Grecian

With a few mid week games coming up I’d rotate Woods & Carroll

Bridgy 81

With a few mid week games coming up I’d rotate Woods & Carroll
It’s a pity that we’re not still in the F.A. Cup, we could have fielded our second eleven!