• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

When Was Your First City Match and Who was Your First Idol?

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Great thread choice Larry. 😀
Indeed. Especially with no City matches and just meh international friendlies.

fred binneys head

27 December 1983, lost 1-2 to Brentford (Chris Kamara, etc) although I remember it being 1-3 so maybe a goal was disallowed and I didn’t realise. I was only 10 years old so give me a break.

Hooked ever since.
Actually, technically I went to lots of games before this one as my mum took me as a babe in arms when my dad was playing, but I count the 1983 game as my first as I can’t remember the others.

Can't remember if the opponents were Coventry or Crystal Palace but I was six years old and think it was towards the end of the 57/58 season. Seems to remember that Graham Rees, Arnold Mitchell, Keith Harvey and Gordon Dale came from that era, but don't know if any of them played in that game.
Many fantastic players over the years and legend is a modern misused term, but for me Alan Banks, Darren Rowbotham, Fred Binney and Alan Beer could meet the criteria; but the only true legend was Tony Kellow, someone I had the privilege of knowing.

Leads

Actually, technically I went to lots of games before this one as my mum took me as a babe in arms when my dad was playing, but I count the 1983 game as my first as I can’t remember the others.
Yeh, does this count? My Sister went to the Morecambe game at Wembley, she was only four months old. It wasn’t her first game either (although I think it was her last)!

Andy_H

You may not have, but Keith Harvey played his entire career with us after joining us from Crediton.
Always remember seeing Kieth Harvey walking down the lane next to our house in Crediton, he lived somewhere up Buller Rd i think in one of the Council Houses, and used to catch the bus from Crediton into Exeter for both matches and training. Oh how times have changed, just look at the style of cars in the car park at C&F to realsie this.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
My first game was at home to Burnley, 18th Feb 1989. We won 3-0 and I sat in the old Grandstand with my mum and brother. Randomly, the whole game is available on YouTube and it was filmed from the OG, so it gives me a good perspective of what I’d have seen firsthand that day!

As for my first idol not too sure, although I remember really liking Mark Cooper in his first spell. It’s probably because he scored some absolute worldies for us!

Squeezebox

4th September 1959, home to Stockport County. We won 2-1 tho' for some reason I always thought we lost 2-1. Alan Banks became my all-time City hero (closely followed by Fred Binney, Tony Kellow and Darren Rowbotham of course!).

Ian Tarr

Just looked mine up in the "bible" to refresh my memory, which was understandably scant as I was only three and a half at the time!

March 15th, 1952: City 0 Northampton 3. Attendance 7,848. City lineup: Singleton, Warren, Kirkman, Davey, Doyle, Harrower, Digby, Smith, Howells, Mackay, McClelland. I can picture Barney Singleton, Fred Davey, Bill Harrower (Steve's dad), and Angus Mackay, although not from that match alone. According to the bible, Norman Kirkman took over as player-manager just a week before.

Sat on my dad's knee in the Old Grandstand.

As for first idol, that would have been a little later -- the incomparable Gordon Dale.

STURTZ

First match 9th Sept 1967 Port Vale w 3:1

First hero Fred Binney

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
First I can remember was home V Wigan in 1992. Goalless draw. I liked that Wigan were sponsored by Heinz.

First city idol was Danny Bailey.